• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

What Size Hook/Pin Wrench Do I Need?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The ones I've seen generically look like this. But as to quality, not sure there. Also I've heard some of the offshore collet chuck bodies kind of do their own thing on OD & slots which would be a bummer. So maybe confirm OD & slot width layout if you can

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
single hook

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You've the room, I wonder if you could integrate MiteeBite cam fixture clamps to make it a pseudo Set-Tru ER collet

1668794938688.png

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I don't need a wrench for the collet chuck nut, I have that. I need a wrench to grab onto the 5" chuck back plate. You can see the hole in the outer edge for a pin in the image.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Is it because when you tighten the collet that you don' want the ER plate to slide relative to the backplate or something? The ER plate is presumably bolted/pinned firm to the back plate? Can you not put the lathe in low gear & just tighten ER nut that way for some reason?

Anyway, how about just a plain steel rod with a handle on it? It would offer more leverage. A C-span wrench might align the arc to the OD nicer but 5" is a big one. Presuming you find one, the wrench thickness might exceed your flange width. Anyways, sorry, never seen one like that but I haven't had a requirement

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I made one for my chuck (5/16 flat bar) and haven't needed it yet. I put the HS in the lowest gear and that gives enough braking power to tighten the collet nut sufficiently. Granted that's on stock under .5" so anything larger may need the wrench but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I made one for my chuck (5/16 flat bar) and haven't needed it yet. I put the HS in the lowest gear and that gives enough braking power to tighten the collet nut sufficiently. Granted that's on stock under .5" so anything larger may need the wrench but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
I made a wrench as well and determined it was almost useless! Like you said, lowest gear and a good yank to loosen the nut.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
If you make a napkin sketch with dimensions, I'll see what I have for plate and cut one for you craig

Something like this I guess......

Wrench.JPG

How would you cut one? I have 3/8 and 1/4 plate but have been perplexed as to how to cut one out per say.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
@PeterT , @YotaBota , @thestelster The problem I'm having is removing the whole assembly (chuck and back plate) from a threaded spindle. There are no flats to employ a wrench.
That makes a difference, I thought you were having trouble tightening/loosening the collet nut.

I rough cut my wrench with the angle grinder and used the RT for the arcs then filed the tooth to shape. Make sure the handle is long enough to tap with a hammer if needed and again putting the HS in low gear and taking the slack out of the gears before tapping.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Something like this I guess......

View attachment 28073

How would you cut one? I have 3/8 and 1/4 plate but have been perplexed as to how to cut one out per say.

I have a CNC plasma, but really it could be cut by hand, torch, plasma....or worst case it could be cut out with a grinder, and profiled with a grinder.....that's obviously the least fun way of doing it though

The pin on the last hook wrench I made was just welded onto the hook, a piece of bolt iirc, that's the only change I would do with your drawing

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I have a CNC plasma, but really it could be cut by hand, torch, plasma....or worst case it could be cut out with a grinder, and profiled with a grinder.....that's obviously the least fun way of doing it though

The pin on the last hook wrench I made was just welded onto the hook, a piece of bolt iirc, that's the only change I would do with your drawing

If you want to plasma cut one for me that would be great. I have 3' of 6" wide 3/8" or 1/4" plate if needed.

Craig

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
If you want to plasma cut one for me that would be great. I have 3' of 6" wide 3/8" or 1/4" plate if needed.

Craig

I'll turn that into a DXF this evening and cut one for you tomorrow

I have lots of plate i get for free, keep yours for another project

What is the diameter of the pin ? I can make it short that much and weld on a pin, or you can weld on a pin, otherwise you'll be filing

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
What is the diameter of the pin ? I can make it short that much and weld on a pin, or you can weld on a pin, otherwise you'll be filing

Ideally the pin would be 0.275" dia and protrude 0.325". I don't have welding capability.

Thanks,

Craig