• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

What collet is this?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have a set of Collets like this with an MT3 holder and a wrench all in a wooden box. The box is not marked and neither are any of the Collets or tools.

I'd like to sell them and buy a set of ER32 Collets with an R8 holder.

But I need to know what they are before I do that.

Note that there are only 6 slits and only on the front.

They fit into the cap before inserting into the holder just like ER collets.

The OAL is 52mm (2.044")
The largest OD is 35mm (1.375")

Anybody know off hand?

20210925_185557.jpg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have no idea yet. I was hoping to find out what they are, look them up and then maybe ask for half what they cost new.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Post a pic of the entire set and holder.

Here you go. But please understand that I'm not trying to sell anything here on this forum. I think I'd rather give them away here. They have no marks to say what they are, who made them, or even what size they are.

20210925_193133.jpg

I have a full set of 5C Collets and a bison collet chuck for my lathe as well as a 5C milling indexer.

I'm just not thrilled with R8 Tooling Collets and figured selling these would help justify the cost of buying an ER32 R8 set.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
They are OZ25 with those dimensions.

Thanks Brent! The missing intermediate slots on mine threw me off. But I think you are probably right.

The box is old. They came with a box of other stuff I got at an auction a million years ago. I've never used them. They prolly date back to the early cloning efforts in Asia.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks [mention]Brent H [/mention] I have a pretty decent MT3 ER32 collet chuck setup.
Are these OZ collets?

Brent H

Ultra Member
The OZ25 will go a bit larger than the er32 collet sizes. The OZ25 is not as common over here in Canada but seems to be around perhaps because it was a popular collet in the 70’s/80’s and sometimes came with Bridgeport style mills?? . I have a full set of the OZ25 and it took a bit to find some of the in-between sizes. The set came with my mill. I am currently looking for OZ40 sizes

Brent H

Ultra Member
@YYCHM - your thoughts are sound - you could make a draw bar and use the collet holder direct in your lathe spindle. Only draw back (pardon the pun) is you cannot push stock through if you needed to.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Sorry about that guys. My bride called me at the shop and told me I was past my curfew. No hanky panky tonight......

@YYCHM - I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking that it does because it doesn't have the tang that is normally there otherwise. It may be a plain threaded hole, or it may have a screw in it, or it may be a dead end. I'll look tomorrow.

@Brent H - I rarely push long stock through my C5 Collets. Not sayin never, just rarely. I love my C5 Collet system. I'd give up long stock if it couldn't do that in a heart beat just for the joy of using a collet.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@YYCHM had first dibs. If he doesnt want it, it's yours!

It's an old set and I doubt that the quality is that great. As @Brent H suggested, I bet they came with a mill built in the early days of cloning. But I've never measured them so who knows.....

Anyway, I had in mind to sell them on Kijiji, but if anyone here wants them, they can have them for the cost of shipping. I'd rather help clean the park than leave it dirtier than I found it.

I have some other MT3 tooling that I will probably be selling too. Some free to members, and some at a more than fair price. So stay tuned.