• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

What a beautiful Saturday to not be inside

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I spent my Sat. at my shooting range club. It was clean up day with a great turnout of guys. We got lots done before rain chased us out.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
It was an amazing weekend to spend outside here. Got a ton of outdoor stuff done, and enjoyed every minute of it.

We just surprised each other tonight when I went out to shut the hens in for the night
wg5oGtHl.jpg

14aC9cil.jpg

If this is the Doe I think it is, she's been hanging around here since she was in spots with her mom. 4 years now, and she's pretty used to us now. See her every week or so strolling through the backyard.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Our friend says he has never seen a deer since he has been building this home....

Wife and I have now seen one twice since we've been here. Sadly I didn't bring my canon and telephoto lens. My cell phone on full zoom shows a blob... but it is a doe happily munching away on winter wheat shoots

2lQQ78M1uvk1fNJ5lZ37tTlwWdg_FDSC3E6eDOp3zr5oLYk7ccwMdknPoAV8i_5ltrJF8R5rUyp81Mn9w1-lDDBVbTXX5aJClCJlbAUXrkpoY6JqbXRWfA8gqWV8evDDs7vHnGx4dQ4IDbfBum0dXxux0m_S4TsFGQYGdeHZHz_WArZjD-ai6u5A0aaXKY7tNvvEYGSVE_kISbjbJ8R7Jta3usdsrOyfnfKfiXffOLMrObeyQclYkxMZsRLzaZI70bq7TZIOYfIY3sTUw5St2TpbuIxGjqcn9oEItlaPshtx6-wvDetKZAmeDvK0CLkavxy-5MEw_G2ZFxkJ_xHdePKAA1Jl9s463sbWQu5KWvDf0z3Idy-j_V0IXF8_BB-vVTRHfIVLEWmjbhglKs4ervv_er5VMWDSoyYr3_EfMRISaaKFwPimrLl1rbusEs2MVFi-mzKA51HPkn8xKW33iTcy-GaBytYthh1_h8unedVvB558Xd3qe8vf8Sa_ejU-yUTfeWaoG80ZBQ3r3XSJG4JJHhs3654iMrjEeLI4sUnSBOF0s9KYvpoj2x0Szr0KgTgGFPVIl6zLBq5MK5phFaL989Gl8N3WPyBLRiVhXwXYqbn2oCApAUQFIdmP8T-J9xLF0tal_Vflg3FSTq0rDikLDOTZcRe649QNQYG7Rm-yAN_m-1zFhHcypupFxEUbZsvst7G5YcV1__gYmic3CRkdLc9YVSZiOZ5RmKkG3hmUh3PbcTEyv7zAiC_M_VBgKCN7NC_uy-MMa0sHI7qdPUMjuaJSeNeVayEH4SBcV-xR4r-B0MYE9GXbSNeuPlWjl78pPX6qToQMFOiO03PSzUFKqLQWsjTytMS-DHEfeNr9txRxX24pwbZ1SNbiPLRvsf1VVmSwTBaB52TBAyG8jb3cX6K4t3GEtMu4jr7eRIgP8pB_=w568-h757-s-no

slow-poke

Ultra Member
When we were living in Mississauga we backed onto the Credit river so all kinds of wildlife would venture into our backyard. We were just across the river from the U of T campus and there is a good sized herd of deer that lives on and near the campus. Sometimes a loner or a doe with young ones would come sleep in our backyard during the day. Beautiful graceful animals. Lots of Coyotes as well. One time I was jogging along the river and about a half dozen deer startled me, they were running in the opposite direction along a narrow path, they just stepped around me by a few meters and kept going. About a minute later a coyote passed obviously tailing the deer.

Short video of Coyote sniffing around a rabbit den near our deck.

Last edited:

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
When we were living in Mississauga we backed onto the Credit river so all kinds of wildlife would venture into our backyard. We were just across the river from the U of T campus and there is a good sized herd of deer that lives on and near the campus. Sometimes a loner or a doe with young ones would come sleep in our backyard during the day. Beautiful graceful animals. Lots of Coyotes as well. One time I was jogging along the river and about a half dozen deer startled me, they were running in the opposite direction along a narrow path, they just stepped around me by a few meters and kept going. About a minute later a coyote passed obviously tailing the deer.

Short video of Coyote sniffing around a rabbit den near our deck.
I live right near the rouge valley, I see fox and deer all the time.. coyotes are rarer sight for me here... too much prey around here keeps them away from homes.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
In small numbers, or at a distance in large numbers, I totally agree.
When you have 6 to 10 living in your yardsite for part of the winter, they are an immense pain in the ass.
Picture having to shovel, not sweep, but shovel large amounts of this PXL_20230531_191655447.jpg off your deck every morning and then finding 6 of your 16 year old Scotch pine looking like this PXL_20230531_192018286.jpg
We've put up with for a long time.
Sausage time from now on. These are mule deer eating breakfast with me PXL_20230331_023509949.jpg

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I live right near the rouge valley, I see fox and deer all the time.. coyotes are rarer sight for me here... too much prey around here keeps them away from homes.
Numerous small pets were taken by the coyotes in our neighbourhood. I'm not sure it's true but we were told that the pack would creep close but stay out of sight and then a female would timidly go meet the pet in a friendly way and draw it toward the pack. The city dug up a den and there was a collection of small collars.

We found a house on a ravine again now in Ottawa, deer are fairly rare in this ravine but we did have a litter of ground hogs under our shed that were eaten by the fox who then took possession of the den and then had a litter of three. They would spend hours at a time playing and lounging around our backyard, quite entertaining. Mommy fox could catch squirrels with absolute ease. She would half sleep keeping an eye on them as they played and played.

Last edited:

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Numerous small pets were taken by the coyotes in our neighbourhood. I'm not sure it's true but we were told that the pack would creep close but stay out if sight and then a female would timidly go meet the pet in a friendly way and draw it toward the pack. The city dug up a den and there was a collection of small collars.
That is the common story about them around here.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Numerous small pets were taken by the coyotes in our neighbourhood. I'm not sure it's true but we were told that the pack would creep close but stay out of sight and then a female would timidly go meet the pet in a friendly way and draw it toward the pack. The city dug up a den and there was a collection of small collars.

My farm is a wildlife paradise.

I routinely see coyotes take small dogs, big dogs, cats, chickens, squirrels, rabbits, turkey, and fawns. Here is a recording right next to the house taken through the bedroom wall.

Sorry - format not allowed.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I love kayaking, I have a cheapie (Indestructible) plastic one and a very tippy but fast and fragile vintage olympic style K1 that is 4' longer than the cheap one and weighs about half.

I have done a lot of canoeing.

Good to see people getting out and enjoying the outdoors.

Last edited:

Tecnico

(Dave)
Good to see people getting out and enjoying the outdoors.

Nova Scotia checking in. We had a nice Sunday afternoon outing but came back to this on the news. It started about 6:45 PM and moved extremely fast driven by strong winds.

FxVGo3ZWwAcYwZR

FxOJYz3XsAEBm7X

We currently have 4 out of control fires, one of about 800+ metric acres that has consumed about 150 homes in the suburbs of Halifax about 15 - 20 km away, another two about 150 km away, the larger about 20k hectares & 50 homes and another about 10 - 12 km from home with wind in our direction that brought our personal alert level to the point where we did the 30 minute evac. & contingency preparation while we awaited better info on where it was and where it was going. That one was hit hard from the air before it got too bad but it was a wake up call. It was near a dairy processing plant with ammonia refrigeration so it got lots of attention.

Normally we have 3 provincial helos with Bambi Buckets but NF & NB have sent 3 CL-415 amphib water bombers and 8 other (Air Tractor) plus several other helos have been brought in including one from a local construction company. This is a big deal in NS, biggest firefighting effort ever spread over several locations. Personnel are here or arriving from NB, PEI, NF, NY, NH and an NS crew returning from Hay River. Conditions have been very dry so risk is high and crews are holding on until Friday night when a front goes through and we get a day of rain with several days of showers following. Tomorrow will be 32C so we have to get through that.

Despite all of this and bans on burning, authorities dealt with people yesterday having 8 open fires/burning trash. Politicians are beside themselves. The fine was raised from $287 to $25,000 today to help with peoples understanding of what a burning ban meant. Eye witness accounts have the fire that consumed 150 homes in a day was started by a woman who burns garbage in her back yard in one of the subdivisions!

Enjoy the nice weather in your back yard, we're looking forward to a bit of return to normal!

D :cool:

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
so far we've racked up 5 different sightings of the same deer, once for over and hour as it grazed peacefully. I tried to get a pic thru the telescope but I forgot my video cam attachment and couldn't get my cell phone to line up with the optics.. what a pain.

IMG_20230531_202704706.jpg

This morning we saw a scrawny coyote for about 5 minutes..

and I've personally seen at least 30 thousand mosquitos and killed many dozens. the blood sucking b*&ta%$ds

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
and I've personally seen at least 30 thousand mosquitos and killed many dozens. the blood sucking b*&ta%$ds

This should be at the very top of your priority list when choosing a place to retire to.

I did ok. Although I have a pond, the minnows look after the skeeto larva. Ya, we have skeeto, but not horrible.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Nova Scotia checking in. We had a nice Sunday afternoon outing but came back to this on the news. It started about 6:45 PM and moved extremely fast driven by strong winds.

how are conditions in Kennet Cook?

We currently have 4 out of control fires, one of about 800+ metric acres that has consumed about 150 homes in the suburbs of Halifax about 15 - 20 km away, another two about 150 km away, the larger about 20k hectares & 50 homes and another about 10 - 12 km from home with wind in our direction that brought our personal alert level to the point where we did the 30 minute evac. & contingency preparation while we awaited better info on where it was and where it was going. That one was hit hard from the air before it got too bad but it was a wake up call. It was near a dairy processing plant with ammonia refrigeration so it got lots of attention.

Normally we have 3 provincial helos with Bambi Buckets but NF & NB have sent 3 CL-415 amphib water bombers and 8 other (Air Tractor) plus several other helos have been brought in including one from a local construction company. This is a big deal in NS, biggest firefighting effort ever spread over several locations. Personnel are here or arriving from NB, PEI, NF, NY, NH and an NS crew returning from Hay River. Conditions have been very dry so risk is high and crews are holding on until Friday night when a front goes through and we get a day of rain with several days of showers following. Tomorrow will be 32C so we have to get through that.

Despite all of this and bans on burning, authorities dealt with people yesterday having 8 open fires/burning trash. Politicians are beside themselves. The fine was raised from $287 to $25,000 today to help with peoples understanding of what a burning ban meant. Eye witness accounts have the fire that consumed 150 homes in a day was started by a woman who burns garbage in her back yard in one of the subdivisions!

Enjoy the nice weather in your back yard, we're looking forward to a bit of return to normal!

D :cool: