• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Welding Spool Adapter - Have You Tried One?

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Has anyone used one of these? They're used to position smaller spools of wire (4" / 2 lbs.) in large welders so that the wire aligns better with the inlet before the rollers and liner.

I've got a Millermatic 252 and have only ever used the big boy 33 lbs. (12") spools. 99% of the time I run .035" but very occasionally run .023". I recently used my last bit of that from an old 8" roll (which works fine with the adapter spring in a 252). But this seems like a cost saving device if it works. I don't think I'll drop 80 bucks on it mind you...but looks like a great little project for some Acetal maybe.

Anyone tried one?

1592276726706.png

1592276796500.png

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I made a simple L bracket with a large bolt to hold the spool and mounted it inside the machine for the small spools. I'll try to get a picture...

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
My Millermatic 250 takes both sized spools. The adapter looks like a great idea for those welders that don't.

Remember if you make it, there has to be a friction device to retard the spool. Very important for even feeding of the wire.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I think the 252 is actually set up (kind of) for 1 or 2 lbs. spools, but it isn't ideal. It's happiest with either 8" or 12" spools. I found an optional part for mine which I obviously ordered (but never used) when I got my 252. I see no reference for it in the manual, but for the 251 it shows it as the extra spring needed to supply the friction. Now, this doesn't address the alignment issue with the bigger machines, but we're halfway there.

For the amount of .023 work I do I can get by, but it looks like a fun project still.

You are right John, you need a retarding device. The Amazon one looks like it just uses a rubber grommet of some sort, which doesn't impress me.

1592324941110.png

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I did nothing so fancy. A simple L bracket with a bolt. You can see it's just a half inch bolt with a washer and two nuts. I set the tension for friction and then lock it in with the second nut. The wire from the big spool passes just underneath unhindered.

That's a small spool of aluminium. The orange bits are ear plugs stuck on the wire to strip off any grease before it goes through the feeder.

Attachments

• IMG_5376.JPG
    IMG_5376.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5377.JPG
    IMG_5377.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 0

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Thanks for the pics John. That looks like it works just fine to me. No need to overkill it right?

If you only use a type of wire occasionally, or if is expensive stuff, it's nice to be able to use the smaller spools in these bigger machines. Maybe not a big expense for a profitable commercial shop, but for us hobby guys, money is money.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Bit of a confusing update on this thread after doing a bunch of detective work. I emailed Miller and here is their (somewhat odd) response:

1592546159701.png

What's confusing is that I did locate a more detailed 252 manual that explicitly states you CAN use 1 or 2 pound spools, with the addition of the optional spring. The manual is here: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/583461/Miller-Millermatic-252.html?page=23#manual and clearly shows how to do it. There are also YouTube videos on how to do this by—you guessed it—Miller.

Now, just to add to the confusion, I looked at the 251 vs the 252 guts. On the older 251, the wire feeds from the bottom. But on the 252, it feeds from the top...making it much easier to use the smaller spools I think. Note that in the pics the inlet that feeds wire into the liner is angled upwards, as opposed to the flat angle of attack on the older 251.

1592546981874.png

1592547158088.png

I know people are only human, but I find it frustrating when company reps seemingly don't know their own products. Having said this, my .023 wire issue solved itself when I found a new 8" roll of INEFIL ER70S-6 for just $15. It's made in Italy and actually has a very good reputation.

And for the record, because of the angle of attack on the 252, the plastic adapter won't work anyways. But now I know it isn't required, at least for the 252.

Happy welding.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I've never seen one on the angle like that before does the lead come out on a downward angle too?