• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Wanted - lathe chuck

Deni822

Hi all, I'm building a hobby-duty weld positioner and looking for any chuck to put on the platten. Wood lathe chuck, machine lathe chuck, whatever. Let me know if you have anything that might work. I'm thinking 4-6" max.

Thanks.
Mark

Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
Nothing here my son keeps pulling ours off the lathe and it’s backing plate for the mill!
I hate that!

Deni822

Thanks Dabbler. I'm more looking for a perhaps an almost-throw-away that someone might have and wanting to get rid of it for cheap. It only needs to hold with a few lbs of pressure as a positioner is nothing but a turntable. Thanks for the link though. I keep my eye on kijiji but nothing has come up in the last couple months.

Cheers.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Hi all, I'm building a hobby-duty weld positioner and looking for any chuck to put on the platten. Wood lathe chuck, machine lathe chuck, whatever. Let me know if you have anything that might work. I'm thinking 4-6" max.

Thanks.
Mark
Been trying to find the link but it escapes me...I saw this guy on YouTube with a similar need. He wanted a light duty rotating platten for practicing "walking the cup" with. He finally settled on a ViseGrip Chain clamp. Pretty ingenious. Sorry I can't find it but will keep looking. I used to use a lazy susan and jig clamps, but it was obviously hand spun. I know the commercial ones are outrageously priced, so kudos to you for fabing a solution.

GrayTech

Busy bee has a 6" independant 4 jaw deal for $39.99. It's a wood lathe chuck but it's pretty solid. Threaded 1"-8tpi. Should work great for your needs.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Why don't you just buy a positioner with a chuck? local auction has it at $5 and ends in a week. The thing is huge with like 8" or 10" chuck. I cannot imagine it going for a lot of $$$

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Its in Calgary at century auctions - tomorrow. I was there today and each positioner is about 1000 lbs with motor control and about 12" chuck.

They are now around $200 each and I would not be shocked if they sell for $500 each.

They are... huge.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well they sold for around $250 plus fees so around $300.

I think they were simply too big for most places. I mean they take a lot of shop space like a very large fridge.

If someone needed these I agree they were a steal of a deal.