• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Video - Best Screwdriver Set? Craftsman, Milwaukee, Wera, Wiha, Klein Tools, Felo, PB Swiss, Tekton

Tom O

Ultra Member
I don’t know I’ve never cut off a screwdriver tip to use like that I also don’t think I could hit that many beats per minute! Being 69 in 2 months I’m positive I’d miss a few beats.
0538D0C3-0A4A-4721-B103-CA5805D32515.gif

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Milwaukee 6 pack is $50 in Canada at HD. Wera 6 set is on sale at KMS for $52 reg $68.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm turning into a Wera snob. I bought some Wera Philips to replace some oldies. They are a pleasure to use, just feel like a tool vs. some piece of recycled tuna can. I'm also developing a bit of carpal in my hand & I find skinny handles aggravate things when I have to grip hard. Wera's have a very nice handle. I was interested in the Milwaukee test because some of my drive tools seem pretty decent, others are so-so. I think they mix & match suppliers depending on the tool.

KMS & Amazon & tool stores have Wera set sales but I find they always package them in 3 of these & 2 of those. Whereas I wanted a progressive set of just one kind & I don't care about a rack or pouch. Turns out Travers Canada has a pretty good selection. For blade style I opted for 378B series. They are a few $ less (bit less specialized) & the shank length was a bit shorter than other series. I have not ordered from Travers in a long time but shipping came to 24$ via UPS CAN. Not sure if their flat fee has crept up over time or because (I suspect) sourced from USA as they say 'ship direct'. But anyways my rag-tag band of Craftsman & Crappy Tires lasted me30 years, hopefully thee will be the last ones I buy & my wife can use them to secure the coffin screws when the time comes. Wait - I guess I should checked out Robertson's too LoL.
https://www.traverscanada.com/category/slotted-screwdrivers?brand_123[0]=WERA

Other places +/- sales & shipping et (Canuck took forever on may order last year but I'm not sure if was my order or Covid)
https://onlinesupply.ca/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=wera
https://canucktools.ca/
https://www.elitetools.ca/en/brand/wera/

Crankit

Should have tried Vessel Impacta screwdrivers....they have a through tang

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
So I have a zillion Craftsman screwdrivers from when they were made somewhere in North America. If I had to replace them I'd definitely use Wera or Wiha - they are a joy to use. But I really have all the screwdrivers I'll ever need.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
B6923751-33B3-4F57-AD2C-ADFA09F76549.png Those are still my favourite but I realize most people won’t pay for them. Replaceable tips, handles give lots of grip and the little nut for a wrench for extra torque. Lifetime warranty too. I keep a couple spare tips in the tool box if I break one and need to fix one. But they are spendy

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
You understand what a tang is on a knife? Same principle with a screwdriver

all you’re doing is driving the handle off the tang of the screwdriver tip, to use knife language

Nope, lost me LOL.

Are you saying replace the whole shank and not just the tip?

I'll try a google search of the subject.

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Same as Dabbler - I have so many screwdrivers, so many wrenches and so many sockets I am quite certain they last me a lifetime. Plus I have strange ability to get more on auctions with different lots.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I have some old Craftsman slotted and some old Gray Robertsons. The only one I regularly have to replace is a #2 Phillips. I’ll have to try a Wera.
I bought a 5 pack of Dewalt Robertson impact tips that have been great, but of course wood screw manufacturers now seem to be going to torx heads.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I am biased - so don’t take my word for it. Here is my collection of PB Swiss screwdrivers. Took over 20 years to get that many. Yes, they do fail, especially the smaller flat blade ones (example in top of picture) because the grip is so good and you can apply so much torque by hand (no wrenching flats on them).

They work exceptionally well with metric fasteners.

B6FB3E9C-4623-4F4D-83FF-C61B3E67B68F.jpeg

I have given up on Craftsman, MasterCraft, etc. I do own a bunch of them as well.

Son uses MacTool ones for work.

Chicken lights

77D8DCCB-F9CE-4730-9F75-D970E53BC2D5.png 6C4E62DD-388D-41D1-876F-1DD666391D36.jpeg I’m not a huge fan of ratcheting screwdrivers but I keep a stubby and a full size on the truck with a 40 piece bit set. I really like the stubby for dash work. Nut drivers have me spoiled I couldn’t go back to not having them. Helping a friend change a motor last year and using a flat head screwdriver on hose clamps felt like being back in the Stone Age.

Chicken lights

I am biased - so don’t take my word for it. Here is my collection of PB Swiss screwdrivers. Took over 20 years to get that many. Yes, they do fail, especially the smaller flat blade ones (example in top of picture) because the grip is so good and you can apply so much torque by hand (no wrenching flats on them).

They work exceptionally well with metric fasteners.

View attachment 17509

I have given up on Craftsman, MasterCraft, etc. I do own a bunch of them as well.

Son uses MacTool ones for work.
I’ve never heard of this brand. They’re high quality?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@Chicken lights Many consider them the very best of breed. I don't think you could go wrong, buying PB Swiss, Wera, or Wiha. All my electronic and jeweler screwdrivers are Wiha. I wouldn't buy anything less.