• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Vibratory Tumbler for Parts

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
This is just a quick pic and movie of a vibratory tumbler I borrowed to smooth out some edges on laser parts I had cut. Saves a bunch of labour at the wire wheel. Media is ceramic, parts are A36 10 gauge. Sorry I forgot to take a close up before pic...I have to get the machine back soon so was on a deadline. I'll see if can find an untumbled part somewhere in the shop later.

Vid is at:

Sorry for the orientation...I've never been able to solve the problem on this forum.

tumbler1.JPG tumbler2.JPG

Last edited:

jmottle

I downloaded them, rotated and saved. Seemed to upload ok here. I'm on a Mac so maybe it reset the EXIF rotation values.

Attachments

• tumbler2.jpg
    tumbler2.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 3
  • tumbler1.jpg
    tumbler1.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 3

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Sorry questions... scale is hard with photos. That pot is 1’ in diameter? How long would your batch of parts take in the tumbler? I see it has a 30+ minute timer? And when it’s done do the parts look frosted? When I see these things advertised on our Kijiji they look barrel sized with 100 pounds of media. That’s an interesting tool for sure.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Yes it is roughly 1' wide x 6" deep. It holds 18 lbs. of media/parts combined. Time is a difficult thing to estimate because it varies so much on the parts, the media, the finish desired, whether or not you use a slurry, the ratio of media to parts, etc. But in my case this run was only 30 mins. If I wanted a polish on them (I was more interested in just deburring prior to powdercoat), I would have done it longer, then switched to a finer media and maybe a slurry (Eastwood and others make them). Some people run them 24 hrs. and get polished results using stainless media. I found a untumbled part in my shop so here's the before and after 30 mins later.

My friend who bought it liked it but decided to buy a much bigger one, so I ended up buying this one from him.

Attachments

• beforeafter.jpg
    beforeafter.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited: