• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

US General 387 indicator holder

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Several years ago I watched Joe Piezinski doing some lathe work. He used a magnetic indicator the likes of which I have never seen before. It worked awesome. In particular, I love how they swing in and out of action to a set gauging location.

I sent Joe a note asking where he got it. He told me that it was a US General 387 but that it was discontinued. He suggested that I watch for one to come up on the internet. One did come up a few tears ago, but I was grossly outbid and lost out. It went for over a thousand. That's just plain ridiculous.

I later asked Joe to consider making one on a video. He thought there wouldn't be enough interest.

My question here is: Does anyone here happen to have one of these indicator holders and would they mind posting some photos and dimensions so I can take a shot at making one?

Better yet, does anyone have one that they want to sell? And no, I won't pay a grand for it but would pay a reasonable sum.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

I can't seem to make this link work. I get a page with some details but no way to buy it (at that price if I could, I would!) It seems like they find what you want to tempt you and then provide links to similar things they want you to buy.

I don't understand why Amazon shows up on the page either. That's been happening on lots of my searches lately. Looks to me like bezos doesn't think he is rich enough yet. Next thing you know, there will be an Amazon link beside my church donation......

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I can't seem to make this link work. I get a page with some details but no way to buy it (at that price if I could, I would!) It seems like they find what you want to tempt you and then provide links to similar things they want you to buy.

I don't understand why Amazon shows up on the page either. That's been happening on lots of my searches lately. Looks to me like bezos doesn't think he is rich enough yet. Next thing you know, there will be an Amazon link beside my church donation......

When I browse kijiji, I see adverts for BB, AliExpress, Amazon, Ebay and others. All stuff I have recently looked at. Something is tracking my browsing habits:eek:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Do an image search on Google or Bing. Lots of photos, including one with a scale.

Also you can look for Craftsman 3872 and Erick 64 Magnetic Holder, they are similar.
Or you can just buy one: https://www.penntoolco.com/erick-magna-magnetic-indicator-holder-350-n/
Erick Manga is at https://clmi.us/
Gerrit

I didn't know that Craftsman made a copy. I've added that to all my search engines.

Not so sure about the Erick 64. Doesn't appear to work the same. I'll try to find more info or maybe a video.

Thanks Gerrit!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
When I browse kijiji, I see adverts for BB, AliExpress, Amazon, Ebay and others. All stuff I have recently looked at. Something is tracking my browsing habits:eek:

Yup, it's a huge problem in my opinion. "something" also know who I am married to and she gets adds for things I was looking at for her for Xmas! She also sees stuff I want for myself. Then I get those "don't even think about it" we can't afford it.

Not happy!

gerritv

Gerrit
It is m ost likely that Erick Magna is the originator of the device, General made a version after the patent expired? Crafstman is just a relabel from an OEM.
Note that Erick Magna make several styles so best to look at them all before dismissing them.

PicClick is an aggregator site, they leech from real sites. I avoid it like the plague. Bing or Google are much better for searching, esp. when you look/select Images.

Gerrit

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It is m ost likely that Erick Magna is the originator of the device, General made a version after the patent expired? Crafstman is just a relabel from an OEM.
Note that Erick Magna make several styles so best to look at them all before dismissing them.

PicClick is an aggregator site, they leech from real sites. I avoid it like the plague. Bing or Google are much better for searching, esp. when you look/select Images.

Gerrit

Good info Gerrit.

I'll take as close a look as possible and won't dismiss them lightly.

I do see that they have both horizontal and vertical models.

Maybe someone has done a video showing how they work and hopefully they will do what I'm after.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Gerrit

I had as close a look as I could find on the Erick holders. They look very good and are reasonably affordable. There is a fine horizontal adjustment model and a fine vertical adjustment model. I found a video on the horizontal model.

What both are missing from the US General 387 is the swing feature that swings the indicator out of the way, and then allows it to return to battery without additional setup. That's what really caught my eye years ago.

On the US General, you loosen a small thumbscrew, pivot the indicator arm, and tighten the screw. Fine adjustments are made with another thumbscrew. It's the swing feature that I'm after.

If you watch the video below at approximately 5:50, you can see it in action.

FWIW, I did end up copying his centering fixture and never looked back. It's way better than anything else I ever used.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
This behaves like the one Joe is using: https://clmi.us/product/erick-magna-holder-200m/

Gerrit

Yes, I looked at it and figured that is the one I would get if I got one. It just doesn't have the stop for a hard "return to battery" position and uses a friction ball instead.

But I'm pretty pessimistic about ever finding a US General 387, so maybe I should just quit pouting, buy the Erick, and maybe think about how to create a swing stop for it.

I am fond of collecting and applying wisdoms to help me deal with the situations that life presents. I think the saying that applies to this situation is "Never let the perfect be the enemy of the good."

Thanks @gerritv You have been a big help and it's much appreciated.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Susquatch : Here are some that may appeal to you:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Susquatch : Here are some that may appeal to you:

I think your 4th suggestion is what I will probably get except without the indicator. (I do not like digital indicators.) That is the horizontally adjustable Erick holder that @gerritv was suggesting. But I might get the vertical version too and then get to work designing and building something that does both as well as having a return to battery provision. We will see. Just need to find away around those outrageous shipping charges.

I have several versions of the Mighty Mag holders and a few of the regular magnetic post holders already. It's that return to battery position that has had me all hot and bothered for a few years. Just slap it onto a quick change tool, make a measurement, flip it out of the way without losing calibration, make a cut, flip it into position, make a measurement, flip it back, make a cut, etc etc. I really like that. But it may not work as well as I imagine it in mind so we will see.

gerritv

Gerrit
t does both as well as having a return to battery provision.
I just looked at Joe's video again, there is no 'return' position that you keep mentioning. Can you point me to where you see that? The 387 is no different than the Erick Magna one I linked to, except the 387 is crudely made.

Gerrit

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I just looked at Joe's video again, there is no 'return' position that you keep mentioning. Can you point me to where you see that? The 387 is no different than the Erick Magna one I linked to, except the 387 is crudely made.

Gerrit

Hmmmm. I could swear I remember seeing that. But I've now looked at a number of photos and videos and I don't see it either. Must have been a brain fart or my imagination at work again.

So that said, I would really like that feature. So it looks like the Erick holder is the way to go for sure!

I'm not convinced that the horizontal micro adjust model makes sense though. I hardly ever use that style of indicator or that kind of measurement.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Guess what I found? Yup, two old General 387 indicator holders.

20211213_125401.jpg 20211213_125452.jpg

As @gerritv correctly deduced, there is no return to battery. I confess that I am disappointed, but life will go on.

I have a Noga adjustable on order too.