• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Upload images >max file size errors

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Lately while uploading images - (files from mac OS *.heic files) which are are container files containing various bits of media (picture, video, sound - anyway I keep getting max file size exceeded errors. Apple phones make these files default when taking pictures now. This is for files about 1.4MB or larger. Anyone else getting errors on uploading images?

BTW the work around is to open the file on your computer - select all and copy - then paste it into the message you are editing. Like below here is a copy paste picture of my abused coffee table.

I'm only noticing this problem when sending the files from my phone to my computer and then attempting to attach them to the message. Second message below was created from the same image but all on the iphone. no problems there.

1618244590937.png

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Test from iphone

Attachments

• 6BE20ABD-CBE0-4EF0-A31C-6C079D25B61B.jpeg
    6BE20ABD-CBE0-4EF0-A31C-6C079D25B61B.jpeg
    540.7 KB · Views: 2

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
test computer 2mb upload of .jpg file. no problem

Attachments

• IMG_5558 (1).JPG
    IMG_5558 (1).JPG
    399.7 KB · Views: 2

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Lately while uploading images - (files from mac OS *.heic files) which are are container files containing various bits of media (picture, video, sound - anyway I keep getting max file size exceeded errors. Apple phones make these files default when taking pictures now. This is for files about 1.4MB or larger. Anyone else getting errors on uploading images?

BTW the work around is to open the file on your computer - select all and copy - then paste it into the message you are editing. Like below here is a copy paste picture of my abused coffee table.

I'm only noticing this problem when sending the files from my phone to my computer and then attempting to attach them to the message. Second message below was created from the same image but all on the iphone. no problems there.

View attachment 14156

I bet the issue is related to the .heic filetype, which probably isn't being categorized as an image type (safe for upload).

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm iPhone-Mac and never had any issues but I export HEIC images as JPEGs before uploading them.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I bet the issue is related to the .heic filetype, which probably isn't being categorized as an image type (safe for upload).

yes but smaller heic files work. like this one.

Attachments

• IMG_0398.HEIC
    994.6 KB · Views: 5

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Try to recreate the error for me? I changed the upload settings to expressly allow heic files. They weren't blocked before, but now they're specifically allowed.

As well, I don't know anything about .heic files, but I suspect something is going on related to Apple's change there.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
well that's weird the file I uploaded now is not showing as picture. must be that change you just made. trying again.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
test 1.4 and .7mb heic files.

Attachments

• IMG_0398.HEIC
    994.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0449.HEIC
    732.5 KB · Views: 1

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
those .heic uploads on this page aren't working for me on mac either. something is broken now.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I can see the ones in posts 1, 2, and 3 but nothing after that.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Okay,

Doing some more digging, I think there is a couple things going on.

1) Initially uploaded images need processing. @Janger , the image in your second post looks fine, but I beleive it had an issue when first uploaded, correct?

2) .heic files seems to be an apple issue maybe?
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/heic-images.183784/
Seems like Apple applies automatic conversion .jpg, but that doens't appear to be working(??).

3) .heic is basically unsupported online, by any browser: https://caniuse.com/heif
--> So even if we reworked the forum to display them properly, browsers can't display .heic.

Not sure what an action item is, other then the "just upload a jpg" advice, but that's the worst sort of answer.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Yeah, I dunno, seems like apple is always going against the grain for some reason.

I found a toggle to increase upload sizes for attachements, but it's unclear if that works for images too...