• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Transformer

Scattered Parts

Mike
Premium Member
So I am almost ready to start up the Emco Maximat 13. Just one small problem. It runs on 440 volt 3 phase. The motor cannot be rewired to a lower voltage.

I have a 15 hp rotary phase converter in my shop that powers the shaper and mill. It is 240 volt.

I am not interested in a VFD for the lathe. Since I already have 3 phase power I was thinking that a step up transformer would be appropriate. According to my calculations I would need 3.7 kVA from the transformer just to run the motor. Including a safety factor of 2 for motor starting leaves me with a minimum requirement of 7.4 kVA. Most 240 to 440 step up transformers i have seen online are around 9 to 15kVA at the small end.

The question I have is twofold. First where does one find such a transformer and secondly would a 240 to 480 volt transformer work in this situation if one in 440 volts is difficult to source?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I have seen some 3PH transformers on kijiji, but you can check motor places that do maintenance - sometimes they acquire used ones, or know where a client might be getting rid of one...

any 3PH 2X transformer will work just fine.

Have you considered changing the motor? it might be a lot cheaper than a transformer. Some of the guys here have 'extra' 3PH motors...

Scattered Parts

Mike
Premium Member
I considered changing the motor, but since it is a two speed motor, there is a considerable amount of electronics tht would also need to be changed. Also I would lose the brake on the motor.

The electricsl system on the Emco is somewhat complicated and there is quite a bit that would need to be changed. The costs of this would exceed a transformer.

The simplicity of a transformer appeals to me. Turn on RPC, flip switch on the transformer and start the lathe. Seems logical to me but if there is a better way, I would like to know.