• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Toronto Resources

architect

Super User
Hi everyone,

I'm new and looking to get into hobby TIG welding from my garage. I'm wondering what are some local resources for materials and gas? I'm in Scarborough on the East end and would prefer something in this area. There's a number of shops in Scarborough but would like to get some leads and recommendations instead of walking into random places. Any advice or information is appreciated.

Thank you.

architect

Super User
Anyone in GTA? Found this place close to me on Google and they are US/America wide. Since they were easiest to find within minutes I'm sure they are the most expensive. Can anyone comment on their pricing and what is is compared to some other sources? I see some other posts about them so they seem popular enough. Just want to get some insights.

I would also appreciate what metals people start starting/practicing TIG welding on :)

Thanks.

https://ecommerce.metalsupermarkets.com/MSC-Home.aspx
https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/scarborough/

trlvn

Ultra Member
I believe that each Metal Supermarket locations is a franchise and some are quite friendly to hobby metal workers while others are pretty hostile. I don't know anything specific about the Scarborough location.

The one in Oakville is pretty good. They have a decent selection of drops, well organized. Sometimes they'll take cash 'for their coffee fund' when I only need a really small chunk.

I believe it was @gerritv that said he drives extra distance to deal with a specific store.

Your mileage will probably vary.

Craig

architect

Super User
Thanks, Craig. Appreciate your time and insight. I hope to hear someone else in the region chime in and avoid any hostile and dubious businesses.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Thanks, Craig. Appreciate your time and insight. I hope to hear someone else in the region chime in and avoid any hostile and dubious businesses.

I wouldn't say that MSM is 'dubious'. It is more that their business may be swamped sending truckloads of product to manufacturing businesses. A hobbiest farting around over a $25 order may be holding them up from thousands of dollars of business for a customer that buys every week. I can sympathize with that and I always try to have my list ready. After that, I'll tell them that I'm going to browse their drops and I'll let them know when I'm ready to settle up.

Like I said, the guys at MSM Oakville have been a pretty decent bunch when I've been there. OTOH, I found another place, Resource Metals, that I like even better.

http://resourcemetals.ca

Craig

Brent H

Ultra Member
@architect I live North of you just past Barrie. What materials are you planning to TIG - like aluminium, Stainless, mild steel for practice? How thick? 16 gauge -1/8” type stuff in the steels and a bit thicker for aluminium?

If you give me a few days I can see what I have kicking about in the realm of practice stuff.

If you are not too picky and don’t mind grinding off some paint there is some sheet steel off a few things lying around.

architect

Super User
They advertise themselves as largest supplier of small-quantity cut to any size which to me sounds like they want the hobbies market. I would completely understand if a business is strictly focusing on B2B with minimum orders and not catered to retail consumers. Their website tries to explain basics that are only useful for newcomers.

architect

Super User
@architect I live North of you just past Barrie. What materials are you planning to TIG - like aluminium, Stainless, mild steel for practice? How thick? 16 gauge -1/8” type stuff in the steels and a bit thicker for aluminium?

If you give me a few days I can see what I have kicking about in the realm of practice stuff.

If you are not too picky and don’t mind grinding off some paint there is some sheet steel off a few things lying around.

Hi Brent,

Thanks for responding. I am not picky and in absolute no rush at all. I'll take and practice on anything you think I should start with as my knowledge in what I should have is limited. What you suggest for steel and aluminum sounds good to me. I'm just trying to get ahead on some research and have resources lined up while I wait for my TIG machine to come arrive in a month. Still need to get there rest of my gear.

Brent H

Ultra Member
For gas you will probably want Argon for the most part. I “bought”my bottle at the TSC store. For hobby stuff that is not a bad way to go. I rent a big mig gas bottle from the air liquide as sometimes the projects get out of hand.

If I were practicing to learn I would get stuff (sheet goods) and cut them up and weld away - dishwasher covers, fridge fronts, (sources for stainless) and other skins from parts heading for scrap. Makes no sense to buy a nice sheet of steel that you will just be chopping up and learning your welding on. Buy the good stuff for the projects :).

architect

Super User
That's true. I do have a few things sitting waiting for me like this 40 year old rusted square tube motorcycle stand. I was planning on cutting it up into segments and just start welding it together in different configuration. I was going to hold off on the nice stuff like aluminum and stainless until I got a better feel first by buying just cheap mild steel.

architect

Super User
There's no TSC that close to me so I'm going to source some Argon locally. Is it typically better to rent than own a bottle?

Brent H

Ultra Member
If you go through gas it’s better to rent - a big bottle will be $15 to $20/ month. They won’t sell you a big one due to regulations on compressed gasses - buying a smaller one means more fills but it can work out if it was a TSC type thing (Princess Auto) where Saturday/Sunday you may want gas.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
MSM is a franchise - https://metalsupermarketsfranchise.com/

It specializes in hobby / small fabricator market. Average sales per store are at around 1.5m USD. Any store that is hostile to its customer base will find it hard to survive.

I started TIG same as I think 99% of others - on mild steel. Its been few years since I left Ontario, however, I do remember that it has rather easy access to industry and getting some scrap to practice on should be much easier then in other parts of Canada - try auctions.

Incidentally I only visited MSM once in my life... in Mississauga. I got some aluminum pipes. Their prices are so outrageously high that for most projects that are not full on custom it is simply cheaper or same price to buy completed product then make your own. I would consider them maybe for things like color metals - say I need a custom bushing made of bronze - it is small & total custom & very hard to find anywhere else thus I check them out + online for mail order from US & pick cheaper option. Note not all MSM sell at same price - some may be better then others, some may give you a discount - its a franchise so if you know the owner you may get a great deal. I am basing this off the "guy from the street" view.

architect

Super User
Thanks, Tom. I'm hoping to avoid MSM if that is the case for their pricing. I'm sure there are dozens of other suppliers, maybe more B2B but would be more reasonable priced and I can find cheap drops. Scarborough is filled with industrial plazas full of small shops and I'm hoping someone in the know can provide a lead. Maybe I should cast my net wider and check out some other hobby car forums. I'll report back if I find anything.

architect

Super User
I did a comparison between this American site Weld Metal Online that exclusively sells practice coupons with MSM

WMO sells 10 pack of SS 0.125" x 2" x 4" = 15USD
Same thing at MSM is 47CAD or single 40" length at 37CAD. If I order 10x 40" lengths then it's 210CAD or ~190CAD with the online discount which brings it closer to the WMO coupon price, which I'm sure is still on the expensive side.

Wish there was easier access to material here that doesn't involve getting the inside track on places :/

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
As I said... ultra expensive. Just wow. so 10ft of 4" at just 1/8 thickness is .. around 100. Imagine how much a stainless steel table would have to cost at these metal prices - few thousand?

Filler metal prices are outrageous as well online - if you really need this stuff go online and look at EBay. They really try to take the skin off hobbyists and make stuff out of it.

I have few hundred lbs of stainless steel filler for tig as well as stainless steel stick. I think I paid like maybe 50c per lbs. I have lifetime supply. Maybe two lifetimes. Anyone wants some SS stick? How about Inconel stick? Have well over 100lbs of that.

I also have some big chunks of SS round stock.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@architect : I am making a stainless fire pit thing this weekend and currently building a table for a customer with steel frame and oak top. I will put the scrap in a box and take a picture - if you want it it is yours.

architect

Super User
I'll take it, Brent! I also just got an angle grinder so want to learn how to use my wire wheel so this is perfect. This weekend isn't good but I can drive down next weekend. I'll PM you to get your address. Thanks!