• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Thread gear chart missing line items! Help!

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Hey all, working on threading a part at the moment. My lathe has four "spots" for change gears, and a nice chart showing all the combinations required.

For the required thread though, it calls for gears in positions #1 and #4.

Using be required gears, they don't actually engage at all (way off)

I'm pretty sure the solution is to put two matching gears in the missing positions. Is that correct?

I'm a couple hours into the project and really don't want to kill it on the last step!

Let me know!

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Got this figured out. I had two matching gears, but even with them it didn't actually connect properly.

Had to dig through elementary school memories on how gears work, but peiced it all together with some common sense and a little guess work.

Ended up doubling up the drive and working gears both, keeping the ratio 2:1, which allowed me to use the matching gears as a 1:1.

Oh, I was aiming for metric 1.5 threads, I should have mentioned. Haha

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Good! I ran into a whole other set of issues, but got it all mostly figured out at this point!

Sent from my iPhone.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I've never tryed threading using change gears yet my grandad's southbend in the garage uses them I have been threading in the basement on my dad's clausing!

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Yeah, change gears are a bit of a hassle, but I think I have the hang of it now. It's funny as they did teach gears as part of the curriculum, but it took my far to long to figure out how to get the right gears in there. haha

Next lathe will definitely have inbuilt change gears.

kylemp

Haha, I think anyone who has used a machine with change gears makes it a priority to get a quick change gearbox before anything else.. I know I did.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Haha, I think anyone who has used a machine with change gears makes it a priority to get a quick change gearbox before anything else.. I know I did.
I figure it's good experience to have, but yeah, will get it right next time. haha

Tom O

Ultra Member
I've always wondered but after my son and I rearanged crap in the garage (read as packed into corner lol) I may have to give it a try opening the box that thou shall not open containing the gears!

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I would recommend. Don't expect to get much done in the first hour, but the process gets easier as you wrap your head around it.

I'm sorry jwest, but I'm LMFAO. I'm a semi retired journeyman, and I would toss that piece in the scrap bucket. But you are doing awesome, and I love what you young machining hobbiests are doing here. Amazed you got threading figured out. Keep it up, and get the rpm's up on your lathe if you're using carbide,, it leaves a nice shiny finish if it's turning fast enough.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Haha yeah, one of those things.

Function over form in this case I suppose.

I often think about getting an apprenticeship, maybe I will at some point. For now it's baby steps though. Working on my finishes is definitely one of those steps!