• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Thought I picked up a steal

darrin1200

Darrin
Found a Mitutoyo micrometer at Habitat. Sombady had taken it apart and put a couple of things back on wrong. It would not turn the spindle. I got it for $5.
Got it home stripped it down and unfortunately, unless someone points out something I missed, the spindle is seized solid. Sprayed som penetrant, and have tried everything short of heat. It will not budge.

Is well, almost scored.
image.jpg

Chip Maker

Super User
For five dollars, you have nothing to loose! Put the spindle ( the long part inside the frame, not the threaded end ) in a vise with emery cloth on the jaws and tighten. Then work the frame to break it loose. It may sound a little extreme but I have done it and it does work. Once you have it out, polish the spindle with 400 grit wet paper and varsol. Then use a light oil like gun oil and reassemble.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Or keep soaking it in penetrating oil. I wouldn't give up on it just yet. Just think, if you get it working, what a score!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Try some "freeze it" penetrant on the shaft. That stuff is like a miracle on shafts.

Thomas

I did the calibrations for our shop years ago and I remember being brought almost the exact same micrometer that had seized while being used, turns out they had actually galled the threads on the spindle.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I did the calibrations for our shop years ago and I remember being brought almost the exact same micrometer that had seized while being used, turns out they had actually galled the threads on the spindle.

How in hells name do you do that? There isn't even any load on those threads.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Or keep soaking it in penetrating oil. I wouldn't give up on it just yet. Just think, if you get it working, what a score!
I agree. You are trying to break up corrosion in tight tolerance, fine threads, I would leave it to soak for a couple of weeks or maybe even more.

Craig

Thomas

How in hells name do you do that? There isn't even any load on those threads.
Not sure, but you certainly don't need any load on threads to have them gall I've seen and repaired countless stainless steel impellers that were being threaded on by hand when they "stuck". I will check the quarantine cabinet tomorrow and see if that micrometer is still in there.

darrin1200

Darrin
I think it’s possible someone messed it up while it was sitting out at habitat.
I will try soaking it.

@Susquatch where would I find this Freeze It stuff? Is that a brand name?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Susquatch where would I find this Freeze It stuff? Is that a brand name?

No, it is not a brand name. It's various products that include a pressurized liquid gas to freeze and release rusted components and/or penetrate deeper than otherwise possible. I was surprised to see some at crappy tire a while back. You can get it on Amazon too. There are all kinds of different brands.

I used to use a freon product till that got yanked by the huggers. Then there was the stuff you use to diagnose circuit board intermittent. All that is gone now too. If you do it outside, you can use propane. Tip the bottle upside down and wait til the bottle outlet gets cold enough to drip liquid. A few drops on the shaft should do it. DO NOT DO THIS INSIDE.

The Freeze it works.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I never thought of that. I’ll look for a service location.
You probably have to mail it into their Missussauga office. Please let us know what they quote, if reasonable it opens up possibilities for all the non working Mitutoyo digital mics I have lol. I'm betting it'll be $125, i.e. not worth it to to fix a mic worth $50 in good condition. Mitutoyo makes great products but I have found their after purchase care poor so have a negative bias, but maybe that is too jaded.....curious what they say.

Its also fairly old, based on the box, so they might decline on that basis, as in parts not available etc.

darrin1200

Darrin
I just fired off an email to Mitutoyo in Mississauga. We’ll see what they say, but between the repair and round trip shipping, I think will exceed it’s worth.
I sprayed it with some penetrant, and left it for a couple of hours, with no movement. I will soak it for a couple of days and see what happens.
I’ll let everyone know what Mitutoyo says.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Liquide nitrogen tank comes in handy for freezing stuff fast. Oh it helps if you AI cows, that's why we have it around.
I'm going to guess that there is alot of people that will have no idea what liquid N and "artificial intelligence" and cows have anything to do with each other. Hee hee.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm going to guess that there is alot of people that will have no idea what liquid N and "artificial intelligence" and cows have anything to do with each other. Hee hee.

Excellent use of second meanings....... Artificial Intelligence - still laughing.

Just to add to the visuals, ever see a breeding bull go crazy on a fake cow? Bet somebody has done a YouTube video on that, but I'm not gunna look to find out.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Just to add to the visuals, ever see a breeding bull go crazy on a fake cow?

they make inflatable cows for that

CTjHRgG.jpg

Too much? ok, sorry folks :). its actually on amazon.ca.....I'm trying so hard to resist posting the question "can this be used for......"

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Soak it up a bit, if it does not work you have a souvenir. Used micrometers are not worth much. For 0-1 especially prices are low, when working that thing is not worth more then $10.