• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

"This forum has been error free for [0] days" - Forum errors - June 22-23, 2021

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Hey Team,

Just a heads up that the forum is back to normal.

Shout out to @Dusty and @Janger for bringing the issue to my attention.

Three things worked together to cause the issue.

Software setting either on cloudflare or the server (not 100% sure) caused some items on the forum to not display properly (reply boxes, buttons, anything javascript based.)
This was detected as a change to the forum, which triggered the server side optimization system, which makes the website fast (compresses images, removes useless whitespace from code, etc.)
Finally, the now broken, and re-optimized pages were then captured by the server side caching system, so even when #1 and #2 were fixed, the issues remained.

Anyways, all is well now!

Thanks Team!

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
Thanks Josh. Never noticed what you described, except maybe saw it on the front page. Hardly ever there though.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Hey Team,

Just a heads up that the forum is back to normal.

Shout out to @Dusty and @Janger for bringing the issue to my attention.

Three things worked together to cause the issue.

Software setting either on cloudflare or the server (not 100% sure) caused some items on the forum to not display properly (reply boxes, buttons, anything javascript based.)
This was detected as a change to the forum, which triggered the server side optimization system, which makes the website fast (compresses images, removes useless whitespace from code, etc.)
Finally, the now broken, and re-optimized pages were then captured by the server side caching system, so even when #1 and #2 were fixed, the issues remained.

Anyways, all is well now!

Thanks Team!

Thanks to Josh (don't you ever sleep) and John for sorting this out, but not so fast because yesterday afternoon I sent a pm to @Tom Kitta when the website was acting up and now said pm has disappeared? What's up with that???

Late add on, sorry to say Josh but for me there's still icon problems without getting into details.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
IE 11 is no longer working. Can't post, edit, reply, quote etc. Chrome appears to function fine.

Craig

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I couldn’t reply. It showed me as logged in but after logging off and back in, it looks like it’s working.

From ipad- safari

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Yeah, I am definitely an early riser / terrible sleeper.
It's the only time the house is silent enough to think, so it sorta works.

With regard to IE 11,
Microsoft stopped supporting IE11 for consumer use November 2020
Only 0.62% of folks use Internet Explorer (https://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share).

I feel like that's low enough that we can follow Microsoft and stop supporting it. Frankly IE has always been a hassle in industry, I can't see that hassle making sense when in a year there will likely be <0.1% market share.

Fixes for one browser open up risk of causing bugs for other browsers.

Thoughts?

With regard to IE 11,
Only 0.62% of folks use Internet Explorer (https://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share).

I feel like that's low enough that we can follow Microsoft and stop supporting it. Frankly IE has always been a hassle in industry, I can't see that hassle making sense when in a year there will likely be <0.1% market share.

Thoughts?

I'm all for it. Never liked IE anyway!!!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

With regard to IE 11,

Thoughts?

It's been coming. On-Line Banking doesn't like IE, My Services Canada doesn't like IE. I've resorted to opening embedded links with Edge because you don't know if the target site will like IE. It's time to abandon IE, I guess.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Internet Explorer Version 11. Was working yesterday morning.

Hey Craig, dumber than a bag of hammers but I had a good laugh at myself after posting my question. Suddenly the light came on and it dawned on me what IE 11 was. Another senior moment. LOL

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hey Craig, dumber than a bag of hammers but I had a good laugh at myself after posting my question. Suddenly the light came on and it dawned on me what IE 11 was. Another senior moment. LOL
Those moments happen to us non seniors too.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
FYI Josh, on my Mac with Chrome I can no longer reply, start a post or send a PM. In all cases there is no textbox to write in. I had to open this in Firefox just to post this. I noticed a few days ago the default font size changed on the site, but I could still post. But as of today I see no text boxes to write in, unless I switch to Firefox.

Mac 10.15.7
Chrome Version 91.0.4472.114

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
FYI Josh, on my Mac with Chrome I can no longer reply, start a post or send a PM. In all cases there is no textbox to write in. I had to open this in Firefox just to post this. I noticed a few days ago the default font size changed on the site, but I could still post. But as of today I see no text boxes to write in, unless I switch to Firefox.

Mac 10.15.7
Chrome Version 91.0.4472.114
P.S. I did try logging in again, clearing my cache and restarting Chrome, but no luck.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I experienced similar issues late last night but all good today on Win-10 OS using Chrome