• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tool The sphincter of the machining world

Tool

trevj

Ultra Member
My main bitch with YouTube.
Youtube's payments push the content makers towards a longer video, so the viewers (if not armed to the teeth with Ad Blocker software) get to see more advertising.

I can only take that guy's delivery, in small doses anyways, I think 3 minutes would about max me out! LOL!

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I turn off the sound. Enable subtitles. And skip ahead until I see something interesting. And yes I use ad blocker. Worth every penny.
Sites that won't let me continue unless I disable ad blocker are immediately terminated. What they have isn't worth seeing.
I can still post into youtube without advertising. AFAIK anyway. I think the issue is people have decided to monetize their meager knowledge rather than just help people. Me. I'd rather just help people.

Xyphota

Ultra Member
As a complete ThisOldTony fangirl, his target audience is not machinists. I'd say its highschool and university students. His channel is what got me into machining for sure. Considering the decline of shop type classes in school, I'd say these 'edu-tainment' type of maker channels make for compelling advertisements to enter the trades.

As for video monetization and advertisements that youtube puts in videos, that is only available once you meet certain criteria, one of which is having atleast 4000 public watch hours in the last year (which is not a very high threshold, that would be like getting 10,000 views on one 24 minute video, or 10,000 views on 24 1-minute videos etc.). And as a channel owner, you decide whether to toggle ads on or not.

As for content that feels stretched out for the sake of time, you can blame that on youtube the company. Longer videos are more likely to be pushed into your video feed by youtube's 'algorithm', so youtube is incentivizing this behaviour.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I turn off the sound. Enable subtitles. And skip ahead until I see something interesting. And yes I use ad blocker. Worth every penny.

@Dabbler told me to use fast play and skip ahead similar to what you advocate. I have tried but my phone does not cooperate well. I have not even mastered it on my desktop very well.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
So... Went downstairs into the shop and set up the dial indicator to measure spindle runout without an R8 collet holder installed. RPM was set to 10. Runout not detectable.

Next installed the .75" flat R8 collet for TTS holders and put in an ER20 holder.
First try at measuring without a collet installed was about 0.0025" runout. Yikes.

I loosened the drawbar and just turned and perhaps better seated the holder. Likely the outside of the R8 0.75" collet has issues?
Anyway, got runout down to 0.001". Not great.

Next clean up a 3/16" ER20 collet, snap in to the nut and install a double ended 1/8" cutter. Now the dial indicator is set up against the side of the end mill at the 3/16" diameter point.
Runout remains at 0.001". Still not great.

At this point I think I'll have to pull both the collet holder and the R8 collet to clean and look for burrs. It's always possible it's also this ER20 collet holder so I should try a few others.

A lot of places for it to go south.
Edit: Change to ER20 collet.

Last edited:

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I got good numbers and quit. No sense poking the bear.

Not convinced low runout on a mill is required for my kinda work anyway.
His point in the video about runout contributing to overloading the cutter and snapping it is probably valid. But then I'm not buying super expensive TTS ER20 collet holders either. Those were purchased from AliExpress back in summer 2021 for about $12.66 c/w shipping. I bought 6. It would now be about $18 each.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
His point in the video about runout contributing to overloading the cutter and snapping it is probably valid. But then I'm not buying super expensive TTS ER20 collet holders either. Those were purchased from AliExpress back in summer 2021 for about $12.66 c/w shipping. I bought 6. It would now be about $18 each.

I wouldn't, and didn't, watch the video. I was just reacting to your own numbers.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Well the laptop is on my lap. TV is on. Skimming through videos with the sound off is pretty easy so I don't mind.
Went back and cleaned up some things. Depending on how tight I make the draw bar I can reduce the collet holder runout to less than 0.00025". The end mill still ends up with about 0.001" runout.

So I set the spindle to 2800 RPM and touched off on the top of this steel so it just scratched while turning. Set Zero. Dial down 0.015" with the MPG. And then on the X axis move at about 4 IPM. No problem.

Dialed down another 0.030" and did another pass. Really no complaints and small chips and no coolant. Maybe 0.001" runout isn't so bad?

1674951245307.png

trevj

Ultra Member
Saw an interesting article in (IIRC) Model Engineer, where the guy was using a soft faced punch and a hammer, to 'tune' his ER collet held milling cutters.

A fella can do worse than to understand, that sometimes, "Good Enough", is!

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
He could have done that video in 3 minutes instead of 18.

Brutal. otoh, 22,000 people say I'm wrong. Tony's a good guy, (used to hang out at HSM) but unless you're into the jokes that is 90% a waste of time.

Seems like most are like that. Except for Clickspring, that guy knows how to make a film, and Blondihacks. She's a beginner but a quick study and imo quit good at the video production. With a wee bit of attitude she does an decent job of leaping in the fray, figures it out, and reports what one would need to know. Anyway, not meaning to get into reviews, but the rest ought to edit their video down by at least 80%.

Myself included. Its hard to do, making a succinct video. You say what you think needs to be said and all of sudden its 20 minutes. Ugh. I can't stand listening to myself for 20 minutes, how's anyone else going to? :D. So mostly I write articles and concentrate on still photography; far easier to do a good job off imo.

What does youtube premium give you? no ads? I just use Brave (a new browser), it strips all the crap out.

Last edited:

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Next clean up a 3/16" ER20 collet, snap in to the nut and install a double ended 1/8" cutter. Now the dial indicator is set up against the side of the end mill at the 3/16" diameter point.
Runout remains at 0.001". Still not great.

I wouldn't worry about .001 at all on the mill. Especially with HSS tooling. Even if you were finishing a roughed out pocket on the mill, you would want to be using gauge blocks to achieve your final size.
The true test would be how much taper you would see on the walls with the cheaper collets.
Steps inside the collet after tightening too much will be your biggest issue with ^ collets...

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Steps inside the collet after tightening too much will be your biggest issue with ^ collets...

Not sure what you mean here. Are you talking about permanent deformation (yielding) of the collet ID from excessive tightening?

I always love that chase of "precision", sigh.

Most of us do not spend the $$$$$ to expect the precision we erroneously want but not require. The second issue we do not machine in the correct methodology to achieve same said precision we claim to want.

If I truly want precision I work in one direction only, even on the best of machines as it virtually gets rid of any end play. Further if want to ensure precision on a collet I would grind it to the dia I need on the machine I'm going to use and not reset anything until that jobs completed.

So before you get sucked down a rabbit hole of blaming tooling and setup, ensure that you use the correct methodology and techniques to eliminate the easy stuff, along with making sure your machine warrants that precision in the first place.