• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

The Perfectionists: How Precision Engineers Created the Modern World (Book Review)

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
If you're interested in the historical aspects of machining, and how the trade influenced culture and entire nations, Simon Winchester's book The Perfectionists: How Precision Engineers Created the Modern World, is a good read. It was a New York Times bestseller, and details how, until such time as precision machining was invented, one-off inventions were the norm and really limited in their impact until tools such as lathes, cross slides, boring machines, surface plates and gauge blocks were invented. Precision was invented for warfare and firearms, yet taken to the extreme it can become the Achilles Heal of successful campaigns.

Most of us have heard of James Watt and how his steam machine started the industrial revolution. But in reality his invention was just a novelty, incapable of doing any real work due to 0.5" gaps between the cylinder and the cylinder walls. That is until someone else came along and solved the leakage issue with a boring machine accurate to a few thousands of an inch—a boring machine that was originally intended to make more accurate canons for naval ships.

What I really enjoyed about this book was how too much precision—as in the cases of Rolls Royce jet engines or the Hubble Space Telescope—can actually introduce unintended failure into engineering and lead to life threatening scenarios, or skyrocketing costs.

As the book progresses it moves into finer and finer levels of precision. So by about the 2/3 mark the author is discussing watches, optics and electronics down to the microscopic level. It's all very interesting, although I enjoyed the first half about machine tools more than the latter half. It wraps up with a discussion of the metric system and how its units were eventually agreed upon amongst nations.

I especially love books that discuss the cultural impact of machinery and inventions, and this has a lot of that. I almost wish it were a longer read, but I suppose this topic could go on forever if left unchecked.

It's available in ebook, paperback and on Audible.

1594358971274.png

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I really enjoyed that book, fantastic read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Same here. Right up our alley. Read it (listened it) on Audibles. I don't think there have been many authors who attempted to encompass this subject theme & tie it together like he did, both chronologically and dimensionaly.

I've since downloaded a few other Simon Winchester titles on completely different subjects & they did not disappoint. I really didn't care for history in grade school, endless dry memorization of dead guys with beards. Now I cant get enough of it. Either I've matured (unlikely) or the difference was how the story was conveyed (more likely).

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Heading over to Chapters this morning. Apparently they carry the paperback $22.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I really didn't care for history in grade school, endless dry memorization of dead guys with beards. Now I cant get enough of it.

From Tragically Hip's Wheat Kings song:

The walls are lined all yellow, grey and sinister
Hung with pictures of our parents' prime ministers

I feel exactly the same way @PeterT. I hated in in school, much to my dad's displeasure. But now I can't recall the last fiction book I read. Everything is history or biographies now. I can't imagine how boring the bearded guys you mention must have been for girls in the class.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Johnwa, just curious. Are you downloading to a reader device like Kindle or Kobo or using some kind of computer/Ipad based e-book app interface (analogous to logging onto Lynda video tutorials but via library portal). My old Kindle is dead & I'm kind of an audio guy now so not really motivated to replace it. But a guy should use 'free' resources when possible,
http://calgarylibrary.cantookstation.com/help/faq/devices_and_apps

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I’m using the “overdrive” app on an iPad. This works for the Calgary library.

Last fall I joined the Phoenix, Az library. Their books are delivered through Amazon to my kindle, or my kindle iPad app.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Just got the last copy at Sunridge Chapters:)
I read it on Kobo. I've had several readers over the years, but I have to admit I prefer paper still. I like to underline things and write notes in the books themselves. Nor can I train my brain to envision how far along I am in an ebook; I like the tactile feel of progressing through a wad of paper pages. I still prefer analog watches as well. But with all this Covid19 stuff still going on, I'm limiting my public contacts.

Hope you enjoy it Craig. I'm browsing now for my next good read.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Not really 'book' related but one of the things I like about oxtool (Tom Lipton) Youtube vids is he is a self confessed (primarily machinist) tool junky. Usually its in his 'meatloaf' episodes. He has collected & acquired some really cool stuff of different vintages, old & new, and from different corners of the world. Many examples are custom made one-offs by tool & die makers etc.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I had the great privilege to visit the Science Museum in London, England, a few years ago. It was a walk back in history with all the items on exhibit. Each section was more or less arranged by when the item on display made it’s mark in time - from old to new. Stuff we almost take for granted now, were actually of great importance in advancing technology. Here is a link to some of the items in the museum.

https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/search/categories/industrial-metrology

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I had the great privilege to visit the Science Museum in London, England, a few years ago. It was a walk back in history with all the items on exhibit. Each section was more or less arranged by when the item on display made it’s mark in time - from old to new. Stuff we almost take for granted now, were actually of great importance in advancing technology. Here is a link to some of the items in the museum.

https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/search/categories/industrial-metrology
Lucky you. I've heard of this place. Always wanted to go. Looks so interesting to me :)

In the late 1970s there was a BBC series called Connections, hosted by science historian James Burke. He makes the point that inventions aren't linear, but rather depended on the need, desires, and even coincidence to advance society. He also says you can't predict where technology will go—because you can't know its impact without knowing these connections. I was quite young, but remember it vividly because he started with the plow and somehow showed how it made possible everything that came after it. His personality made it interesting. Today you get historians (again British) like Suzannah Lipscomb and Kate Williams who have become rockstars, partly because they use the same technique of tying together inventions and culture to make history fascinating. (The other reason they are rockstars becomes clear if you Goggle them).

Good museums to me tell a story, rather than just display stuff with a one paragraph description. A time line is one way to do this effectively. But I've always wanted to see a museum of "stuff that didn't work" where they walk you through the reasons for failure and then show the final, successful, invention. Perhaps no one else would be interested in seeing versions of WD-1 through 39, but I think it would be interesting...Preparation A through G, perhaps not so much ;)

Last edited: