• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

T-nut for an Aloris QCTP

Tom Fitzpatrick

Does anyone have a T-nut for an Aloris AxA Quick Change Tool Post that'll fit a Craftsman 12' Metal Turning Lathe model 101 - 28900?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Usually these are machined by the machinist that is installing the lathe from some scrap steel in the shop. If you do not have a working mill I would just use some flat stock to make temporary holder for your axa (with just threaded hole) and then you should be able to do basic milling on another piece of stock held in AXA holder & end mill in a 3 jaw chuck.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I agree with Tom.

Do you have a mill? (or do you have access to one?) Rather than modify the nut I got with my offshore AXA, I made a new one, surprisingly finding out my compound T slot is a half thou tapered in the process.

The hardest part was finding a 14mm Metric Fine tap.

If you have a genuine Aloris the tap will be easier to find. measure the thread at the bottom of the toolpost and let us know what it is.

The chances someone has an extra Aloris nut that will fit are minuscule.

Tom Fitzpatrick

that is an easy standard size to get. What about the mill question @Tom Fitzpatrick
No I don’t have a mill. I will take the current suggestions & make a temporary one out of flat stock & then use one of the Aloris tool holders to modify a more permanent one. Any suggestions on what kind of end mill bit to use & where to purchase one, speeds to use at etc. Thanks again - you guys are always SO generous with your assistance & suggestions.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Looking at my tap chart you need a 17/32 drill for a 9/16-18 hole. I would put the stock in your 4 jaw chuck on the lathe and drill. Then tap. Kms tools will have the drill and maybe the tap. Look on you tube for drilling on the lathe and 4 jaw chucks. Unless you have a drill press then just use that.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
And you tube for tapping with a tap on the lathe. No power. That’s a manual operation. Safety first.

Crankit

I made the T-nut for my tool post using a hacksaw and files.
Took maybe an hour.
Good exercise in hand work. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You used some cold rolled? or did you have a piece that came with the tool post? I had my QCTP (supplied) piece machined by a local machinist(kinda) and he complained it was hardened and wrecked his milling cutter. Seven months later he got it finished:rolleyes:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
My toolpost came with a drilled and tapped blank. It was cold rolled for sure.
I measured and marked it out and hacksawed off the bulk and then finished it with files.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Fitzpatrick

What's your location and the dimensions of the T-NUT you need?
South of Calgary. From the Aloris catalogue page 3 for sizing a T-nut the chart goes like this:
Make of lathe - Craftsman 12" model 101 - 28900
Swing - 12"
Slot on my compound for the T-nut:
A - 30 mm/1 3/16"
B - 26.05 mm/1.027"
C - 15.85 mm/0.624"/5/8"
D - 8.35mm/0.328"/21/64"
E - 7.90mm/0.310"

I'm going to try the cut and file method first to get a temporary T-nut then use the Aloris Tool Holders to secure a new piece while I chuck an end mill bit into the 3-jaw. My only question is where best in Calgary to buy and end mill bit & what size would you recommend? Would you have a picture or profile of one I should be looking for? Once again you guys are SO helpful. Thanks again.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
For better context, here are the referenced dimension from the Aloris webpage.

856836AD-A3E1-47A2-BCC6-5B8FA906B5DF.jpeg

Did you already purchase the tool post? If not, Aloris will machine it for you free of charge if you give them the dimensions....

030CFE27-5677-4283-AD96-7FD9D71DE78E.jpeg

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
South of Calgary. From the Aloris catalogue page 3 for sizing a T-nut the chart goes like this:
Make of lathe - Craftsman 12" model 101 - 28900
Swing - 12"
Slot on my compound for the T-nut:
A - 30 mm/1 3/16"
B - 26.05 mm/1.027"
C - 15.85 mm/0.624"/5/8"
D - 8.35mm/0.328"/21/64"
E - 7.90mm/0.310"

I'm going to try the cut and file method first to get a temporary T-nut then use the Aloris Tool Holders to secure a new piece while I chuck an end mill bit into the 3-jaw. My only question is where best in Calgary to buy and end mill bit & what size would you recommend? Would you have a picture or profile of one I should be looking for? Once again you guys are SO helpful. Thanks again.

How far south of Calgary?

There is something not right with dimensions D and E here. You're showing D to be larger than E? Also, how long does this nut need to be?

Please document the making of this nut here. I'm curious to see how this gets executed on a lathe.

Craig

Tom Fitzpatrick

to Robin Hood: Yes I know as I contacted Aloris by phone yesterday and they gave me the details of having them make the T-nut - $45 US + shipping, duty and other taxes, which is adding up, so I'm going to try and make a temporary one myself. Thanks very much.

To YYC HobbyMach (Craig): The current nut forms a rectangle with two steps (I'm assuming thats the way the compound it came off of was profiled. I'll document it with pictures and I'll definitely double check those dimensions. The T-nut which came with the tool post is much larger and I could probably just cut this one down as it's fabricated from mild steel as I was able to score it easily with a corner file, but I'd rather not mess with an original part. Plus it'll be good practice to make the temporary one with saws and files. Thanks you for your interest. I live on Okotoks.