• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Sunnen Pin Hone with mandrels and accessories

Kelly McLaughlin

Sunnen MBB1600 (Canadian made by Guspro sunnen looks slightly different from the american models but has all the same features) 12 speed has a new belt. Machine comes with 42 mandrels giving coverage from .125 to 6.5 inch The mandrel in the machine (AN600) has a range from 2.5 to 6.5 by changing stones. the spare parts / stone asst cabinet is pretty well stocked but I couldn't say it was 100% complete. The reservoir (12 gallons) is about 2/3 full and I have approx 3 gallons in reserve. It's on steel wheels to allow easier servicing and speed changing. the empty mandrel holder is included. asking 5500.00

Attachments

• DSCF0908.JPG
    DSCF0908.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCF0909.JPG
    DSCF0909.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCF0910.JPG
    DSCF0910.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF0911.JPG
    DSCF0911.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF0912.JPG
    DSCF0912.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCF0913.JPG
    DSCF0913.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF0914.JPG
    DSCF0914.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF0915.JPG
    DSCF0915.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 41

Kelly McLaughlin

This is a pretty specialized tool I realize, I'd be happy to consider trades for part payment if someone had something interesting. like a benchmaster mill or something in need of restoration?

Ironman

Ultra Member
I scrapped the one I had as I couldn't give it away. I noticed the other day that I still have some hones sitting there.
The machine should be called a bushing hone. Back when cars and trucks had kingpins it was used more.

Kelly McLaughlin

Hi There! I did sell it to a friend. The thing about them is when you need one it's one of the few machines capable of delivering. You are right in that they were for king pin bushes but they were for sizing wrist pins when pistons had to be fitted by the installer way back when. I used it mostly for honing valve guides and motor cycle cylinder reboring, but once you get much over 90 mm they don't have enough torque to drive the stones with the correct pressure to keep things straight. The other cool thing is no matter how old the mandrels all fit there are two sized and a bushing that adapts them.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I've got one, its hard to finish a bore more accurately, straight and round. Great contraptions. Problem imo is the mandrels are stupidly expensive and each covers a very narrow range. I've three longer bores to do, needs the double stone length mandrel. Even took a shot at making some, then you realize why they are so expensive lol. There is no way I'm going spend that much so the machine sits as I often end up making laps instead.

Second problem is the mandrel and stone part numbering system. A huge design effort was put into the specific goal of making me feel like an idiot. Never been able make sense out of it, just so frustrating to navigate. Phht, I'll make a lap.

Last edited:

Gearhead88

Super User
I've got one, its hard to finish a bore more accurately, straight and round. Great contraptions. Problem imo is the mandrels are stupidly expensive and each covers a very narrow range. I've three longer bores to do, needs the double stone length mandrel. Even took a shot at making some, then you realize why they are so expensive lol. There is no way I'm going spend that much so the machine sits as I often end up making laps instead.

Second problem is the mandrel and stone part numbering system. A huge designed effort was put into the specific goal of making me feel like an idiot. Never been able make sense out of it, just so frustrating to navigate. Phht, I'll make a lap.
Some good points .............

I don't know of a better way to finish a bore as straight and round as can be done with Sunnen equipment , I've personally used several different Sunnen machines . For years I never gave much thought to the numbering system or how difficult it is to understand , I simply used the mandrels and abrasives that were on hand , all of it was there and was applicable to the work I was doing . I was employed in a shop where all tooling and supplies were there for me and I wasn't involved with the aquisition of any of it .
THEN........ I bought my own machine and had to figure this numbering / grading system out . At first , I struggled with it , what was a real game changer was getting a few catalogs , where it's laid out pretty well and after a short time I had it figured out , well , a portion of it which included the mandrels / abrasives that were relevant to what I was doing . Sunnen made it easier to choose the correct tooling in the catalogs I have by devoting a section of the book to list the specialty tooling that they recommend for the work I am doing.
For a period of time I was buying lots of Sunnen tooling to outfit my machine , I made up a list of work I might have to do and decided what mandrels and abrasives I needed to get those jobs done . I found ebay to be a valuable source for the tooling I was looking for .
It's no secret that this stuff is not cheap and I must confess , I am guilty of getting carried away with buying more stuff than I should have . I'm the kind of guy that likes to be prepared and have the correct equipment available prior to starting the job . Knowing ahead of time what bore sizes I might be working on is what has enabled this . Typical work I might have going on is Motorcycle related , primarily , such as cylinder bores , bushing work , valve guides , connecting rods . I've been doing this long enough that I've got drivers that are portable , driven by a drill . The portable stuff is super expensive , even for used tooling.

I still look at Sunnen stuff on ebay every day ........ yes I have a wish list , abrasives are consumables , They wear out , you need to have back up .

Actively looking for anything Sunnen ......

Ironman

Ultra Member
Hi There! I did sell it to a friend. The thing about them is when you need one it's one of the few machines capable of delivering. You are right in that they were for king pin bushes but they were for sizing wrist pins when pistons had to be fitted by the installer way back when. I used it mostly for honing valve guides and motor cycle cylinder reboring, but once you get much over 90 mm they don't have enough torque to drive the stones with the correct pressure to keep things straight. The other cool thing is no matter how old the mandrels all fit there are two sized and a bushing that adapts them.
I'm planning to attend the git together this month, and I could bring my hones along if you want them, otherwise it's aluminum scrap.

WRebuild

Hi Kelly, thanks for your prompt reply and too bad you've already sold it...but then again it's been years since you listed it for sale! I saw you have an Airhead in your picture and I am actively looking for a Sunnen hone to assist with engine repair work. The airhead engines have some interesting bushings, especially around the rocker arm area, and all of them need work...

Kelly McLaughlin

Hi Wrebuild! They are handy for bushing work but for cylinders the AN series protables are actually a better choice, I made a cabinet from a laundry tub with oil recirculation and mounted a vise so I could
Hold the cylinder in a plate, it was very versatile and accurate and using a drill motor with a quick coupler give considerably more torque than the 1600 flat belt is capable of providing, A router speed control will let you get in the right RPM for the finish you need. 2 tenths is easily achievable which is considerably better than factory. There is actually quite a science to them
Iron Man: I live in Medicine Hat and have never managed to get to a meet up but I'd definetly be willing to seek you out next trip to your area and pick them up, I know severl fellows with machines that would be glad to have them.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've got one, its hard to finish a bore more accurately, straight and round.
Absolutely!

I've three longer bores to do, needs the double stone length mandrel.
What diameter are you honing? I use the L20 series stones. They're 4.5" long. I use them for shotgun barrel bores up to .800" diameter and 34" long.

Attachments

• 20240403_185212.jpg
    20240403_185212.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240403_185128.jpg
    20240403_185128.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 6

Ironman

Ultra Member
Hi Wrebuild! They are handy for bushing work but for cylinders the AN series protables are actually a better choice, I made a cabinet from a laundry tub with oil recirculation and mounted a vise so I could
Hold the cylinder in a plate, it was very versatile and accurate and using a drill motor with a quick coupler give considerably more torque than the 1600 flat belt is capable of providing, A router speed control will let you get in the right RPM for the finish you need. 2 tenths is easily achievable which is considerably better than factory. There is actually quite a science to them
Iron Man: I live in Medicine Hat and have never managed to get to a meet up but I'd definetly be willing to seek you out next trip to your area and pick them up, I know severl fellows with machines that would be glad to have them.
OK, they'll be waiting for you

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
What diameter are you honing? I use the L20 series stones. They're 4.5" long. I use them for shotgun barrel bores up to .800" diameter and 34" long.

Tail stock bores are the longest i do, diameter say 3/4 to 1 1/2, 6 to 15" long. just a guess. This is what I meant by the double stone ones https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/juAAAOSwdLdhYiCq/s-l1600.jpg

Regular single stone mandrels aren't long enough.

I've been able to get good results with my homemade laps, but less sure of them as the length goes up. I hard chrome the quills then grind them to fit the lapped bore. Target is 3/10ths clearance, you can hold the tail vertically with the quill and some oil and it doesn't fall out.

I'm not familiar with that style you show. not sure how they work or if they would work for me, I like to have the oil pumping and have the whole affair overtop of the catch tray.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Tail stock bores are the longest i do, diameter say 3/4 to 1 1/2, 6 to 15" long. just a guess. This is what I meant by the double stone ones https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/juAAAOSwdLdhYiCq/s-l1600.jpg

Regular single stone mandrels aren't long enough.

I've been able to get good results with my homemade laps, but less sure of them as the length goes up. I hard chrome the quills then grind them to fit the lapped bore. Target is 3/10ths clearance, you can hold the tail vertically with the quill and some oil and it doesn't fall out.

I'm not familiar with that style you show. not sure how they work or if they would work for me, I like to have the oil pumping and have the whole affair overtop of the catch tray.
Hey @Mcgyver will you be at the Toronto Meet and Greet? I can bring one of my set up for you to have a look.