• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Suggestion for a repair.

Perry

Ultra Member
Neighbor approached me with an issue. He plays drums. A part of his set called a high hat (excuse me if I have this term wrong) has a threaded rod that attaches to an arm. From what I understand this piece is in varying tension. Push-pull. There is a male threaded rod and a female threaded piece. The male thread looks rough but I see a set screw contacts it. The female thread is in a boss that sits off to the side of the part. This female thread looks shot.

I haven't physically seen the piece yet but from the photos it looks like my idea will not work. I was thinking a press type bushing could be pressed in and new threads made in the bushing. With the item under tension this might not be the best answer. The other issue I see is the side walls of the boss might not be strong enough. I also noticed the hole in the boss is a blind hole.

Ideas?

mms_20210304_213612.jpg mms_20210304_213618.jpg mms_20210304_213624.jpg mms_20210304_213630.jpg mms_20210304_213637.jpg mms_20210304_213646.jpg

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Helicoil insert. You will need to drill through it for the set screw after install but it might work.

Brent H

Ultra Member
The rod part could be zipped off at the thread damage and then just thread a few more teeth onto it. The spring damper would need to move a bit more up the rod but should be ok as the rod is typically longer anyway. The chromed part that attaches to the chain drive is a bit more problematic- typically these items are cast or a polished aluminum. The treads look to be gone. Anyway to remake that part?

BMW Rider

Super User
A Helicoil would not work due to the set screw, but your idea of a bushing is perhaps on the right track. Instead of pressed in, make it threaded. You could go up one size and use a fine thread to keep as much thickness in the bushing.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
a couple ways I could see fixing that from the photos...but they don't always show the entire story so take this with guarded pessimism.
What direction is the main thrust of the rod , push or pull?
First thought was to drill straight through the thread buttress
and "flange a new threaded insert" that feeds in from the back (might have to slot the item body a bit to allow insertion)...won't look as good esthetically, but should be serviceable.
The second thought ,if feasible, (should be the easies fix) is to, again, drill the thread buttress and if possible drill & tap another grub screw into the buttress exactly opposite of the one already there ...cut an insert to fit with a little groove in it that corresponds to the second grub screw, this screw/groove will hold the new insert in place.