• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

STMBL motor driver -- Electronics and Software.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
This thread will be about the STMBL drive which is open source for both hardware and software. However it's poorly documented and now 6 years or so old.
A link for getting started is here.
And the forum where there were discussions but now not much other than single word replies from the authors is here:

My plan is to use this as a sort of blog as I learn how the code works and write up a detailed program operation description. It's a very impressive project. Done by very clever developers who, like a lot of software developers, couldn't write good documentation if their lives depended on it.

I have 3 of the drives. One running my 4th Axis which is an AC Servo with quadrature encoder. I drive it with step/dir signals from the CNC application. The other two were supposed to be spares or perhaps run the DC Brushed Servos. That never worked well so I abandoned that.

You can see in the photos that the PC to STMBL and Encoder to STMBL is done with RJ network type connectors. Fine if your hardware supports that. My Harmonic drive didn't so I created some interface board that converted signals like step/dir/enable and fault into the RJ network cables.

I'm still working through how all the code connects. More on that in the next posts.

Attachments

• STMBL-1.jpg
    STMBL-1.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 1
  • STMBL-2.jpg
    STMBL-2.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 1
  • StepDir2STMBL-3.jpg
    StepDir2STMBL-3.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1