• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Springfield Ideal for $500

I cant seem to post the ad, kingston kijiji. Advertised as an antique lathe.

It appears that springfield lathes were quite robust. Does anybody on here have much experience with them? I may go have a look at it myself. Although I'd prefer a QC gear box the price is right. This appears to be from circo 1920

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Looks like SB 13 but may have longer bed, heavier build and no QCGB. Unless totally trashed for the price its a great deal - even in Ontario. This would easily be 1500 in Calgary given extra tooling included. If in decent condition and with plenty of tooling more like $2000.

I am going to view it tomorrow. It was handed down to him by his father in law, father in law bought it from an older fellow who had to sell his house because the old highway was going through (highway 2 for anyone from Eastern ont) which was a long time ago!

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Now that’s a good size 4 jaw chuck!

Yeah it feels too big for the machine - like a 12". These chucks alone are worth more then 300. Heck chucks plus lathe for scrap > $500. Current scrap price is 10.5 cents per lbs - so more then $200 in scrap for the lathe!

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I am going to view it tomorrow. It was handed down to him by his father in law, father in law bought it from an older fellow who had to sell his house because the old highway was going through (highway 2 for anyone from Eastern ont) which was a long time ago!
I’ve driven most of Hwy 2, it’s slow but scenic

I viewed the old girl. It turns out the seller lives 12 mins away. It feels like a solid robust machine.has about a 14in swing. It is about 9 feet long probably around 6 feet between center. Here are some findings:

Pros: it's running although the motor wiring is through a light switch, complete change gears set, threading dial intact and quite hefty, complete taper attachment as wel, lots of odds ands for tooling, power feeds function as they should.

Cons: wear, the ways have a deep ridge, the 3 jaw chuck is worn. I measured .020 total indicated run out. I used a piece of tooling I had from work that is within .0002 total indicated run out. Surprisingly the compound and cross feeds have relatively low backlash considering this is serial number 437. I'm guessing it's from the early 1900's WW1 era.

What do you guys think?

Brent H

Ultra Member
Did you measure the run out at the spindle nose? As in take the 3 jaw out of the equation? If things were running fine that way, a new 3 jaw would solve that. Pics of the ridge in the ways? Is it just one from somebody scratching a piece of hard material? If so you can stone off or remove the high spots and things would be ok?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
3 jaw runout could be simply bad backing plate. I would not worry about that. You can always get a new chuck. And its a 3 jaw - not a precise chuck. The 4 jaw is the expensive surgeon chuck.

What is the wear on the ways - did you use indicator to measure it?. Did you measure spindle bearings?

Low backlash means little use.

Its still a great deal - I mean we are talking here about 12 x 70 lathe with a lot of tooling for 500. Taper attachment for SB is on eBay for $1000 CAD.

Power feeds even function! Wow! It runs!

Did you check all speeds?

Did you measure the run out at the spindle nose? As in take the 3 jaw out of the equation? If things were running fine that way, a new 3 jaw would solve that. Pics of the ridge in the ways? Is it just one from somebody scratching a piece of hard material? If so you can stone off or remove the high spots and things would be ok?
Did not remove 3 jaw. I didn't get a pic but the ridges are just under the top of the V where the carriage rides. Probably around .050 deep

3 jaw runout could be simply bad backing plate. I would not worry about that. You can always get a new chuck. And its a 3 jaw - not a precise chuck. The 4 jaw is the expensive surgeon chuck.

What is the wear on the ways - did you use indicator to measure it?. Did you measure spindle bearings?

Low backlash means little use.

Its still a great deal - I mean we are talking here about 12 x 70 lathe with a lot of tooling for 500. Taper attachment for SB is on eBay for $1000 CAD.

Power feeds even function! Wow! It runs!

Did you check all speeds?
Did not measure spindle bearings, albeit old babbitt, that's not a hard repair, I forgot to mention on of the cast feet is broke and a wood block is holding it up Minor repair though. 4 jaw is definitely from this lathe and shows little use just hefty.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Did not remove 3 jaw. I didn't get a pic but the ridges are just under the top of the V where the carriage rides. Probably around .050 deep

So around 0.015 or so wear. Nothing too special. Ways are for sure soft. You are not going to make any parts for spacecraft with this lathe - but for general work feels its good enough. Certainly 100+ old lathe is a talking point in a workshop. Obviously no match for a more modern lathe - but has to be seen from the perspective of a price - a modern 12 x 36 lathe is around 5000 CAD plus tax without any tooling. For $500 you are hard pressed to find used mini lathe without any tooling.

If I was in ON I would immediately buy this and move to AB. Hold on, let me ask my parents if they want to drive for a week in the winter.

I think for most repair work it will be adequate. Mostly turning shafts for press fits I'm sure it will be fine. If it ends up in my garage I would lightly refurbish it and put it to use. If it does come with me I will let everyone know, thanks for the helpful advice.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Interesting- looking at it from my perspective, I see Lotas work and possible not great return. What are you looking for as a lathe? $500 is pretty cheap, perhaps put 1500 to $2000 to get it where you are happy? Hmmmmmm I don’t know, motor and stuff mounted to the wall, I don’t believe that 4 jaw would work. .... just scanning the pics - hmmm

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I dunno, I’d be passing on that as my first lathe (pardon me if it’s not).
As @Brent H said, a lotta work for who knows what kind of result.
If you’re into restoring machines then maybe it’s right up your alley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk