• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Spot Welder at PA

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I have same size US made welder but 120V. I paid a bit less for mine then the Pro Point not on sale. I used it over the last two or three years dozen times or so. Works great on thin stuff. My supposedly smaller less powerful welder is about same size - small but very heavy.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Well Dabbler and I went halfsies and bought the thing. Dabbler is pretty good at spotting deals so we managed to get the sale price - $90 each. We'll let you know what we think of it...

Tom O

Ultra Member
I almost bought one for my Sons Birthday but thought the 3 in one bender would be better and both my welders have the spot function on them but we will see what happens. they are looking for a new house so any sheet metal related things will probable go over there.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I have the PA 120v version, impulse buy. I’ve used it a couple of times, decent results

Metal choice and prep are key to good welds

In high school, we made Coleman style camp stoves. Had to create drawings by drafting, use the sheet metal shears/break to fold/bend metal etc.

Looking back, I see how many skills and learning that was baked into that one project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I would be surprised if it did not work very well - these things do not exactly have any moving parts / no need for accuracy & making a simple transformer is well within Chinese capability to build to last a lifetime. Maybe actual mechanisms are weaker then on US model but then again if it is a pro point they could have invested in something sturdy - Chinese are now fully capable of matching or beating almost any US product in quality - you just have to pay $$$ for said staff.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Did you blow yourself up Kevin? :p:eek:;)

Back when you could have a lighting party in the parking lot as 10 kids fired up their stoves at the same time. Good luck nowadays (I’ll probably get a letter from the ministry of education for writing this post and inciting others to contemplate this project )

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
IIn high school, we made Coleman style camp stoves. Had to create drawings by drafting, use the sheet metal shears/break to fold/bend metal etc.

Looking back, I see how many skills and learning that was baked into that one project

Did you make the whole thing burner assembly and all?

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Methyl hydrate poured into reservoirs. Nasty stuff. Knocked a cup of that over in a pasture when I was in scouts . Liquid blue flame in a ten foot circle real quick!

Good snow melter for hiking though
Before the MSR pocket stoves you see today.

I still have methyl hydrate in the shop though

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Methyl hydrate poured into reservoirs. Nasty stuff. Knocked a cup of that over in a pasture when I was in scouts . Liquid blue flame in a ten foot circle real quick!

Good snow melter for hiking though
Before the MSR pocket stoves you see today.

I still have methyl hydrate in the shop though

Oh so not a pressurized tank of white gas?

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
If I am thinking of the right thing, it works good for getting sanding dust off and raising the grain on wood before using the next higher grit sandpaper. Evaporates way faster from the wood than water so allows for quicker turn around.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Amongst other things its also known as methanol, lock de-icer and gasoline antifreeze. I think the gasoline antifreeze for fuel injection has some additives to be injector friendly.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Was helping my son mount a job box to his truck tonight. There was a small square hole in the one corner that was letting water in

He suggested riveting a patch in , I suggested we test drive the spot welder

We ground everything to near-bare metal and welders it right in the box of the truck. Awesome result

d901f19906c4697f8e8698f366416f0b.jpg
d4d1967b36bc0112abd46b5258c8ab68.jpg
864ad0b521b880c9368fca75bc1bc804.jpg

Not quite “paying for itself” but easy fix and no drilling !

I see the 240V spot welder at PA will be on sale again next week. I'm trying to decide if I should get one or try building my own. I'd like to have one like Dan Gelbarts! :D But then considering I've never used one before maybe the 240V PA model would be a better starting point? What think you all???

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hey I've been trying to justify buying that one also, but it hasn't been on sale in the time I've decided that I "need" one.

With not buying it ON regular price, made me consider making one also. The building of one looks fun and interesting but the examples of homebuilt ones appear to loose a functionality of the commercial ones and that is portability. I would think that being able to manover one into awkward positions is key to its versatility. Now there are probably homemade versions that do allow this feature but the ones I've seen are basically bench mounted units.

Do you have a particular need for a spot welder? I sure don't, but like to try to think of where I would need one.