• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Spoolmatic gun and WC-3 controller

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
We picked up a new toy today. It`s a well used but functional Spoolmatic gun and WC-3 controller accompanied by 16 1 lb rolls of aluminum mig wire and a bag full of tips and contact tubes. I`ve always wanted one and Dabbler needs one so we split it.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Now I don't have to worry about TIGing 2Kg of aluminum filler rod! Assuming I can get the hang of it, it'l save a lot of time and cost.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Dabbler, what machine are you running it off? I run mine off an Everlast MTS 211 si. Inverter type welder. For 0.030 wire I get best results 130 - 145 amps and pushing the weld yields a much cleaner final bead. The gist is to actually “spray” the weld so you will hear a different sound than frying bacon - as with MIG. I welded up my router table fence (1/4” thick) with no problems.
Have fun!

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
@Dabbler, what machine are you running it off? I run mine off an Everlast MTS 211 si. Inverter type welder. For 0.030 wire I get best results 130 - 145 amps and pushing the weld yields a much cleaner final bead. The gist is to actually “spray” the weld so you will hear a different sound than frying bacon - as with MIG. I welded up my router table fence (1/4” thick) with no problems.
Have fun!
Voltage? Is that steel?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
We picked up a new toy today. It`s a well used but functional Spoolmatic gun and WC-3 controller accompanied by 16 1 lb rolls of aluminum mig wire and a bag full of tips and contact tubes. I`ve always wanted one and Dabbler needs one so we split it.
Congrats guys! And we need pictures!

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Janger - that was for aluminum- I will have to check the voltage - was a while ago. Weld changes sound when you get to the spray part. My welder has that “synergic” mode so amps and volts work together but it’s the amps you can adjust. I would be guessing at 21- 22 volts. It is a setting I saved in the memory so I can recall it tomorrow off the welder.