• Look in the CNC Machining area for the new 3D Printer forum.
  • Guest, Help us understand what we can do better in future. Click Here!

Speed handle for my milling machine vise

John Conroy

Premium Member
I used a cheap Mastercraft 3/4" socket, some 7/16" CRS and two 3/4" steel balls to make this speed handle for my Kurt vise. I drilled and tapped 3/8" holes in the balls and threaded both ends of the rod. I prefer just 2 arms on the handle instead of three like you see on most of them. It was nice to get out into the shop for a couple of hours for this.

Cheers

Janger

(John)
Premium Member
Hey John did the mill come with that nice chip cover corrugated material? Where can one buy that stuff and what is it called?

Did you need to anneal the socket first before drilling or just drill away? I want one of these handles too but I was going to weld on the handles. You knurled the middle is that to enlarge the diameter and make the handle stick in the middle?

John Conroy

Premium Member
I got the way cover on eBay from this vendor.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Green-Accor...948673?hash=item35df058941:g:3RYAAOSw1cNaRPfA

I didn't anneal the socket. I wanted to maintain the hardness so the handle won't come loose over time.I drilled through it with a 3/16" then a 7/16" carbide end mill instead of drill bits and it was pretty easy. The knurl increased the OD of the handle enough that it is a very snug press fit into the socket. I used the hydraulic press at work to install it. I used this particular socket because the 3/4" hex on the inside runs the entire length of the socket so it slides all the way onto the vise screw and it's very secure and wont fall off.

Janger

(John)
Premium Member
@John Conroy I got inspired by your post to make a two handle speed grip. I didn’t have any carbide end mills to make holes in the socket so I decided to make a square part to insert into the 1/2” hex driver end. I then tig welded handles to that. The square drive part is held in by a screw and washer from the other side. The brass handles are nickel cupboard door knobs which I discovered are just plated and are brass underneath. I threaded the rods #10 to match and tightened them on. I need to paint or plate the rods. Fun little project.

Attachments