• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

SpaceX Starship launch... at least it cleared the tower.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
NASA didn't make it the first time either so that fact that they were a minute in before things went awry, I think is a win.

Maybe Elon will pickup the roadster on the way to mars so he will have something to drive.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
meh, not the first explosion for space x

if i recall correctly spaceX stated that it was cheaper and faster for them to design, and test with possible failures rather than to spend 20 years in development

They defiantly had a lot of failures trying to perfect that vertical landing

But if you look at the outcome and how far they have came in the short time spacex has been around, the formula is working!

From what I've read, the failure occurred at the first to second stage transition, some of the motors didn't fire.

The goal I understand was to ensure the first stage functioned and it did.

As to the methodology that SpaceX uses it is not new, but doesn't work for a lot of firms because bean counters only see the negative. In SpaceX's vision do what's needed no matter the cost currently, you win the race and its a big payoff (so just lock the bean counters in the closet).

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Glad to see my $160/mo is going to a good cause (blowing shit up)
Nothing better. I took a weekend blasting course 20 some years ago from a guy that did explosives at various mining sites.
1/2 day of classroom and then a day and a half of BSU.
Quite possible the most fun I have ever had.
Was going to start a side gig of beaver dam removal, even had a name registered. Angry Beaver Blasting Company.
Pretty sure the requirements and course have become a lot more restrictive since 9/11.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
You simply can't argue with the steady stream of accomplishments. Where most people would say impossible he just does it. I'm impressed.

I spent most of my career in product development, one lesson learned was build a first prototype as fast as possible after the specification is nailed down, regardless of how many rough edges because you will learn a great deal from that prototype that you just can't envision before building and testing it. Attempting perfection on the first round is a huge waste of time and money.

Last edited:

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
You simply can't argue with the steady stream of accomplishments. Where most people would say impossible he just does it. I'm impressed.
Attempting perfection on the first round is a huge waste of time and money.

Perfection is as always... just 1 dream away.

The test was to clear the tower without too much damage... However, once the engines started coming apart, nothing could withstand the shrapnel in its path.

6 of the engines were underpowered for the weight mass... Although, that gives a good starting point for the new engine builds.
The next test should be more impressive.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I spent most of my career in product development, one lesson learned was build a first prototype as fast as possible after the specification is nailed down, regardless of how many rough edges because you will learn a great deal from that prototype that you just can't envision before building and testing it. Attempting perfection on the first round is a huge waste of time and money.

Having spent most of my career in R&D too, I totally agree with that statement. I'd only add that I think the best advancement of the modern era was CAE. Virtual testing using real world prototypes to calibrate the models cut the rat poop out of design cycle time and cost.

Well, I can and do argue with that. What he is REALLY good at is getting other people to fund his ideas and getting regulatory changes to create a non-level playing field. His actual accomplishments come from the people he hires and in my opinion they are not really that amazing.

Hopefully, we can just agree to disagree on that.

But, at the slight risk of getting slightly political, what irks me most is also using my tax dollars to subsidize his activities and their success.

There was a saying that goes back 100 years. Almost any engineer can do amazing things with enough money. But the really good ones do amazing things on a limited budget.

Regarding the rocket failure, call me an old cynic. I think the spin doctors had already cooked up the story before the launch even happened. It was going to be a success no matter what.

Seemed pretty ho-hum to me. Just some fun fire works. It was just a test intended to uncover flaws. Flaws were found, no surprise, and they blew it up on purpose because they lost control of it. No big deal. If they don't do any better next time I will begin to have reservations about it.