• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

south bend 9.

Jackhammer

Brand New Member
Hi all, new member here. I have acquired an old South Bend Lathe and would like to get it running. I have a few small issues, thought y'all could help with.
1) I need a drive belt, see bellow, does anyone know what type of belt it is? The Motor is a V puly but the wheel is flat! just like the earth, hehehe

Also it has a 3PH 1/2hp Motor, I need to change it out to a 1PH motor, does anyone experience with this?

Not sure of the Model. Ser# 33183K I believe its a 9.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 5.16.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 5.16.35 PM.png
    154.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Southbend .jpg
    Southbend .jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 116
  • Southbend9.jpg
    Southbend9.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 117

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The belt for the motor to large counter shaft pulley is a v-belt.
I can take a shot of mine tomorrow.

I’ll look up the serial number tomorrow but you might have a bit of a hybrid machine there.
Most 9’s have the belt tensioner handle on the headstock. Later mod 10K lathes (I have one) have it on the countershaft assembly.
Do you have another picture of the full headstock?

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
The belt for the motor to large counter shaft pulley is a v-belt.
I can take a shot of mine tomorrow.

I’ll look up the serial number tomorrow but you might have a bit of a hybrid machine there.
Most 9’s have the belt tensioner handle on the headstock. Later mod 10K lathes (I have one) have it on the countershaft assembly.
Do you have another picture of the full headstock?
Nope, the older machines took a flat belt. Not trying to come across as a know-it-all. But the older SB’s should have a flat pulley on the motor too, his middle picture looks correct in how it’s set up.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@Jackhammer your lathe is a 1953 model.
The serial number can be found here: http://www.wswells.com/sn/sn_db.html
It came with a v-belt for the motor to large pulley.
Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 9.15.13 AM.png

I don't know why the belt tension lever is on the countershaft assembly because that is not how the 9's were arranged in the 1950's. It may be incorrectly assembled or it may be a countershaft assembly from a late 10K

Model A - quick change gearbox, power crossfeed
Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 9.09.45 AM.png

Model B - change gears, power cross feed
Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 9.08.57 AM.png

Model C - change gears, no power feeds
Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 9.11.54 AM.png

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
You can get ribbed flat belt (or plain flat) from Amazon (!!!) at reasonable price. https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=flat+belt&rh=n:11850793011&dc&qid=1610137532&rnid=5264023011&ref=sr_nr_n_8

example: https://www.amazon.ca/Fevas-Flat-65...0137659&rnid=5264023011&s=industrial&sr=1-114

I have a feeling that the old machine probably does not have anything too fancy like a MAG switch or something and mostly on / off switch. So you can just replace the motor. If you want to keep the mag switch (say there is one) and maybe a protection circuit you can run almost all 1/2 3/4 motors on 240v 1ph. There will be a difference in power drown on protection circuit but depending on its age it may be adjustable.

I.e. changing motor can be trivial to moderate depending on what you have.

a 1/2 or 3/4 or even 1hp motors used should be something like 20-30 CAD. Make sure RPM match. You may put a larger motor there but probably a waste since the flat belt is not wide enough to transfer more power - you can measure its width and go online to see max power transfer ability.