• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

SOLD - Bringing Your Scrap to the Recycler? I May Have Some FREE Scrap for You...

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I actually have this item on Kijiji now. It is a McAvity 1958 Fire Hydrant I restored. There is a market for these, but they take a while to sell. We are cleaning up things around our house and decluttering the back yard. These have good scrap value and if I can't sell it on Kijiji after a month or so I'll give it away to someone who wants it for scrap value or otherwise. Don't know the exact weight but it is cast and likely 85 lbs. or so.

Let me know if you want on the wait list. I've wreaked my back and won't be any help loading, but it will be free. BTW, the custom base for this was made on the Torchmate CNC some of you on this forum have used.

Ad is here: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1433800135

Attachments

• plug4.jpg
    plug4.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 0
  • plug3.jpg
    plug3.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 0
  • plug2.jpg
    plug2.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 0
  • plug1.jpg
    plug1.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 0

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Will add you on the list Tom. I'll let the ad run for a month or so. Haven't tried Gasoline Alley. My goal is for someone to pick it up and save my back.

Last edited:

BMW Rider

Super User
Those Mcavity's are a classic style, there were not a lot of Calgary hydrants without the 5" port either. Most of those with just the two 2 1/2" ports were on small mains or dead end mains where flow was minimal. I know a few other firefighters who collect this sort of thin and will put the word out for you. I would certainly be in to take it too, just not sure where I'd put it in the yard. Hate to see it go for scrap.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Thanks. Mine only has the two smaller ports (I think the 5" one was called a Steam Port). I don't know that much about them. I just got it for our dog. Sadly he decided he'd rather pee on neighbour's lawns instead.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
But... But what is the dog going to use to mark its territory?

Looks very cool - lets hope it doesn't get scrapped!

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
My dog is smart enough that he went to Law school and uses the Land Titles Act to mark his territory.

I don't have a chance.

BMW Rider

Super User
Thanks. Mine only has the two smaller ports (I think the 5" one was called a Steam Port). I don't know that much about them. I just got it for our dog. Sadly he decided he'd rather pee on neighbour's lawns instead.

Yes the large port was sometimes referred to as a "steamer port". That was a throwback to the early days of steam driven pumps that used the larger connection since they could pump more water. Today we typically just call it a 125 (mm) port and the two smaller ones 65s. Some municipalities have a 100mm (4") as the larger port size.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Years ago I bought one of the wheeled hydraulic lift tables from PA. Lifts 600 lbs into the back of a truck. Worth every dime!

Thanks.