• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Simple cool 1 day project needed.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
My bride of 50 years was talking to my sister about all my "dumb machines". That turned into "what can I do with them"? After a lot of what is that? Why would you want that? And who the F cares? I finally said, I'll tell you what, let me think about it for a while and I'll come up with something that you would like and then we will make it together!

Unfortunately, they both LOVED that idea........ Now I'm in big trouble and I could sure use some help!

Helping would likely turn into watching. But that's ok.

Can you think of some small useful cool gizmo that can be made on a lathe and mill that a girl would like and/or at least appreciate?

Any ideas?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
1.JPG

She loves it as it has some heft to it. When my daughter saw it, she had to have one as well.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Great ideas guys! I'd prefer something that requires both a lathe and a mill, but then again, I'm not sure either of them would know the difference!

Candle holders are a terrific idea. My bride has candles everywhere! Personally, I hate them but she would love it. My sister would not. She and her still at home daughter both have allergies to almost anything smelly, smoky, or nutty.

I love the meat tenderizer. I really do! But I confess I'd be a bit worried about the exact cut of meat my bride might choose to tenderize.......

I also like the pepper & salt shakers. But that might take a while to do since threading isn't exactly a starters skill. But talk about the cool factor! Wow!

I hope I never break a glass lid on the wife's jars. But that lid would surely get me out of hot water if I ever did!

For now, I like the jewelry idea in the video with a small twist. How about a thin custom stainless ring made on the lathe with symmetrical holes and perhaps flats made on the mill. These could be filled with clear epoxy to give them an amber look and then polished on the lathe again. Stock sourcing is easy peasy - Stainless nuts & bolts are cheap! And a hex nut would be super easy to index on the mill.

What girl doesn't like jewelry - especially some they made themselves on the big guy's cool machines!

I'll prolly make some prototypes so I know what I'm doing on the big day.

There is an old saying that I love. "A wise man changes his mind often." Please don't hesitate to make more suggestions.

THANK YOU!!!

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
For me, aquarium stands did the trick.

I follow that up with wood working projects to deflect from the metal.

Picture frames, cutting boards, paper holders, ink stands etc.

That , and travelling around the world whenever asked , even though being away from my things makes me nutty

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
But it would be a 4 jaw chuck alignment marathon and doable

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Fix busted stuff. Candle holder. Tea light lamp, oil lamp.

Attachments

• 658130CB-AA92-41CE-B4A4-05D568EA0887.jpeg
    658130CB-AA92-41CE-B4A4-05D568EA0887.jpeg
    461.8 KB · Views: 5

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I love the meat tenderizer. I really do! But I confess I'd be a bit worried about the exact cut of meat my bride might choose to tenderize.......

I think this is your solution. It requires some milling for the teeth, some turning, some knurling, and some threading for the handle. I'll bet ya that you end up making two:p

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
My bride of 50 years was talking to my sister about all my "dumb machines". That turned into "what can I do with them"? After a lot of what is that? Why would you want that? And who the F cares? I finally said, I'll tell you what, let me think about it for a while and I'll come up with something that you would like and then we will make it together!

Unfortunately, they both LOVED that idea........ Now I'm in big trouble and I could sure use some help!

Helping would likely turn into watching. But that's ok.

Can you think of some small useful cool gizmo that can be made on a lathe and mill that a girl would like and/or at least appreciate?

Any ideas?
Choose cautiously my friend. I hear banjos.

If this endeavor backfires—say she doesn't like the results and spreads the word around to a bunch of our spouses—all our shops could be in jeopardy on this forum.

No pressure though ;)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
For me, aquarium stands did the trick.

I follow that up with wood working projects to deflect from the metal.

Picture frames, cutting boards, paper holders, ink stands etc.

That , and travelling around the world whenever asked , even though being away from my things makes me nutty

Aquarium stands eh...... Reminds me of a story. I made a 40 gallon aquarium stand out of solid 1" oak planks a few years after I got married. It was drop dead gorgeous and still is to this day though one of my sons has it now. My younger brother saw it a little after I made it and decided he could make money selling them. So he made a bunch of them and brought them around to various pet shops in the city to sell for him. They sold like hot cakes so he bought a table saw and made more. They sold too so he made even more. They didn't sell so well. Apparently he had saturated the local market. BUT, it was a beginning for him. He ended up becoming a master cabinet maker doing custom cabinets and furniture the old fashioned way. All because of one aquarium stand.

No, I'm not helping either of them make an aquarium stand. And no cribbage or cutting boards either.

I HATE TRAVEL. Did way too much when I was working. Learned to hate airports, hotel rooms, taxis, and fine dining alone. I was born a farm boy. I have a beautiful farm of my own now and I want to die a farm boy too.