• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Shop press

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
So I decided to make one based on 50t design at princess auto. Incidentally I ended up making it much stronger as calculations shown the PA model to be very marginal for 50t load. I may one day get proper cylinder for it vs. just a jack.

Project is very, very large. I have at least 100h into it. Its done. Legs are from 2" by 0.5" steel. 4 peg construction with 1 1/8" pegs. Welding this whole thing from all sorts of scrap metal takes forever.
IMAG0296.jpg

Drilling holes in the legs. Fun little project for the mill.

IMAG0298.jpg

Drilling more holes - now for the pegs. In total I drilled 118 holes.

IMAG0300.jpg

Almost there - need to just finish the bar that pushes.

IMAG0316.jpg

Finished. Need better place for it and stronger springs for the jack. I also need to figure out why pins don't align well - maybe I have it backwards. There was a LOT of welding distortion.

John Conroy

Premium Member
Nice job Tom. I'm still collecting material for my press project. What size is the C channel you used?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I welded two angle irons which were 3/8 thick and 2.5" legs. As you can see they are reinforced with some 0.1 square tubing. The top has a plate reinforced at the top 3/4" thick. This aint weak PA press.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Finished. Need better place for it and stronger springs for the jack.
There's place down in Manchester area-—around Calgary Power Coatings— that sells springs for trampolines, called Play Factory. They sell individual springs. That's what I use for my press, but yours may need something stronger.

Last edited: