• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Product Shop Fox mobile base for mill

Product

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I want to put my mill on a mobile base so I don't have to mess with the d@mn engine hoist if I want to move it a foot.
Thought maybe I'd build my own I started looking at casters and steel. Well that's just painful. $60/caster for ones rated for 300# each plus steel was going to put it north of $200.
Found this at Busy Bee, $140, says it's rated for 1300#. Surely that's enough for my mill.
@CalgaryPT I think you had one similar to this.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
That's an interesting idea. Did you get four casters for $36???
Sure did! They're not what I'd call amazing, I wouldn't want to be moving my lathe (or anything else) every day on them, but for a couple times a year they absolutely do the job. I estimate my lathe + stand at around 800lbs and they have no issues with that.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Perspective. My main workbench is a custom-made section of industrial pallet racking. 48”x108”. Decking is a sandwich of north-south layer of t&g 2x6, intermediate layer of 3/4” plywood, top is a east-west layer of t&g 2x6.

With lathe, milling machine, drill press and ready-use tools stored underneath, it weighs about 1500 lbs.

Last month I moved it across my shop. Jacked it up one corner at a time using a carjack and stacked 2x4s. Bolted 2x10s to the bottom of the legs, and bolted four Princess Auto 300lb rubber casters.

Moved it myself, and I‘m post-retirement and weigh 130lbs soaking wet.

You likely won’t be moving the mill very far, or very often. The advantage of the Shop Fox set-up is it has built-in jacks.

Attachments

• 2846E27C-FB92-471A-8078-6167BC219C06.jpeg
    2846E27C-FB92-471A-8078-6167BC219C06.jpeg
    380.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 10ECB3CB-3A16-4BF6-9E0C-7A4E20558623.jpeg
    10ECB3CB-3A16-4BF6-9E0C-7A4E20558623.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 025E2BEE-1212-4E0B-A124-0220FA592966.jpeg
    025E2BEE-1212-4E0B-A124-0220FA592966.jpeg
    455.7 KB · Views: 17
  • D2DC0A64-8E83-4B0E-9933-325426125698.jpeg
    D2DC0A64-8E83-4B0E-9933-325426125698.jpeg
    460.4 KB · Views: 18
  • AC299C72-DC50-47DD-A718-CC053C5F056A.jpeg
    AC299C72-DC50-47DD-A718-CC053C5F056A.jpeg
    531.5 KB · Views: 18

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Perspective. My main workbench is a custom-made section of industrial pallet racking. 48”x108”. Decking is a sandwich of north-south layer of t&g 2x6, intermediate layer of 3/4” plywood, top is a east-west layer of t&g 2x6.

With lathe, milling machine, drill press and ready-use tools stored underneath, it weighs about 1500 lbs.

Last month I moved it across my shop. Jacked it up one corner at a time using a carjack and stacked 2x4s. Bolted 2x10s to the bottom of the legs, and bolted four Princess Auto 300lb rubber casters.

Moved it myself, and I‘m post-retirement and weigh 130lbs soaking wet.

You likely won’t be moving the mill very far, or very often. The advantage of the Shop Fox set-up is it has built-in jacks.
Thanks, that's excellent perspective!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I've got about 5 ft of 4" x4" x.25" angle in the shop. Maybe I'll make some brackets to bolt onto the legs and fix some caters to the brackets...

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
That looks better built than the other 'cheaper' brand they used to sell. I have 4 of them, they bolt together. My major gripe was that they flexed some under weight, flimsy..... I usually end up welding it together once I have the size right. I have most of my wood working equipment on them.

I had my mill on casters (custom made, real skook'em) but got rid of them in favor of 'feet' w/rubber pucks. I never cared for my metal machinery being mobile.

If you were closer, I'd give you a piano moving dolly that is in my shop now..... that thing is well built. But it weighs about 100 lbs itself. I've heard good things about the shop fox branch though.

On a mill be careful as they tend to have the CG higher than expected particular when you move them. The second issue is if you do take some heavy cuts the lack of a good bolt down for a small(ish) mill allows vibrations to creep in.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Hey @David_R8 : maybe these would work:

I found the shop fox stand has the one set of swivel wheels and one set of fixed - I am about ready to rip them off and change it out to all swivel. I have one on my band saw and I typically just drag it to position as the steerage sucks.

That's what I put on my shaper stand. They work well, and that's a decent price for a set of 4.

You can't actually level with them but they stabilize well.

Last edited:

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I want to put my mill on a mobile base so I don't have to mess with the d@mn engine hoist if I want to move it a foot.
Thought maybe I'd build my own I started looking at casters and steel. Well that's just painful. $60/caster for ones rated for 300# each plus steel was going to put it north of $200.
Found this at Busy Bee, $140, says it's rated for 1300#. Surely that's enough for my mill.
@CalgaryPT I think you had one similar to this.
Yes. And our thought processes were the same: fun to build, but the numbers didn't work. I'm happy with both my ShopFox mobile base and the leg kit I bought for my electronics test bench. No way I can buy the materials for that price.

I have a similar base on my radial arm saw for over 25yrs, its a love hate affair. The biggest comment I can make watch the wt limit, don't get close to this limit as it can cause you some stability issues both while moving it and when stationary (to the point of being dangerous). Other than that great tool to have.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The base arrived yesterday and I have to say that I'm quite impressed by the quality. A nice touch is the nylock nuts used to lock the bolts used to position the crossmembers. The casters for the lathe table should arrive on Saturday so I'mm be able to install those, shuffle the lathe out of the way so I can position the hoist and put the mill on the base.