• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Shawn's CNC Plasma

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Inspired by @David_R8 with his build, I am off on a CNC Plasma build adventure as well. I ordered the electronics and motors last year and this project is nearing the top of the list. I found the v-bearings were relatively cheap on Canada Bearings, much better than Amazon and now that the borders have opened, I was able to drive over the border to Minnesota (30 minute drive) and pick up a shipment from McMaster Carr. I have never McMaster Carr before and wow, they ship fast!

A neighbour cuts signs for people with a CNC plasma cutter and we are going to try to cut the pieces and other plates. We will try one and see if it is "good enough". If not, I may have to suck it up and pay a local company to laser cut them. No one in town water cuts, that I know of. The laser cutting was ~ $200 last year, and is probably up as everything is now.

This project might drag out as we are also starting a renovation. Sigh....:rolleyes:

But I figure get the parts in hand and it might actually happen.

Attachments

• 20220516_141030.jpg
    20220516_141030.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220516_220258.jpg
    20220516_220258.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 2

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Inspired by @David_R8 with his build, I am off on a CNC Plasma build adventure as well. I ordered the electronics and motors last year and this project is nearing the top of the list. I found the v-bearings were relatively cheap on Canada Bearings, much better than Amazon and now that the borders have opened, I was able to drive over the border to Minnesota (30 minute drive) and pick up a shipment from McMaster Carr. I have never McMaster Carr before and wow, they ship fast!

A neighbour cuts signs for people with a CNC plasma cutter and we are going to try to cut the pieces and other plates. We will try one and see if it is "good enough". If not, I may have to suck it up and pay a local company to laser cut them. No one in town water cuts, that I know of. The laser cutting was ~ $200 last year, and is probably up as everything is now.

This project might drag out as we are also starting a renovation. Sigh....:rolleyes:

But I figure get the parts in hand and it might actually happen.
Well this is exciting!
I also got my bearings from Canada Bearings. They are decent to deal with.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
For those interested, (ie anyone who needs to buy bearings in Canada) here is Amazon versus Canada Bearings. I can't help but think there is a difference in quality, but that conflicts with pricing. I would have thought Canada Bearings is better quality. The application is not high speed so either probably would have been fine. I ordered two extra wheels,....just in case. ;)