• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Sharpening carbide end mills?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Hi gang
I have some carbide 3/4” EMs I’m using on a project. They are used and kinda dull. I want to mill aluminum. Is there someone on the forum near Calgary who can sharpen the sides and end? Or maybe there is a good company doing this commercially? Anybody have a recommendation?
Oh and I forgot to mention I don’t have time for a project to do this myself I just want to pay and have it done. No dear Liza bucket problems! Ha
J

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
There is a place in bow ness carbide saw sharpening and one in okotoks foothills sharpening I think. Anybody use either?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
If $$ isn't an issue why not just replace them? I think that's what the commercial guys do?

Sadly, I know of at least 3 local members sitting on end mill sharpening devices that haven't turned them up yet. I don't know if they do carbide though?

Last edited:

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Guilty as charged [mention]YYCHM [/mention] My grinder is sitting dormant. I lack the time to learn the skills needed, but like in game of thrones……. Winter is coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Also does anyone know of a place that sharpens regular end mills and drill bits? I have 1 large EM and 5 or 6 large bits that could use professional sharpening.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Taylor Toolworks in Calgary does it. One 3/4" Carbide EM costs $69 to sharpen with a 3-4 WEEK turnaround. I found the turnaround disappointing. Still a new EM like these is over $200 - carbide made in USA. They would sharpen your stuff too @Johnwa.

There is another place Caldon that sharpens. I didn't try to call them yet. I was looking at the Shars cutter grinder today - wouldn't take long to pay that off at $69 a pop. Do I want another project? Is that a good unit?

https://www.shars.com/products/mach...l-end-mill-cutter-drill-bit-grinder-sharpener

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Is owning your own cutter grinder like having a pickup? Everyone wants to borrow it? :) :eek::p

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Probably..... and not only that they want YOU to drive it:p

$200 for a 3/4" EM:eek:

That is exactly it Craig!

if there is anyone quietly lurking who can do this - sharpen two 3/4” EMs - would you please PM me and give me a price? I’d be glad to pay.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
I looked long and hard at the shars machine….. then ordered from aliexpress

I heard good reviews about the quality etc but couldn’t justify their shipping . As [mention]Dabbler [/mention] will note, you get better results if you phone in. There wasn’t any interest in shipping to Canada and the USA to Montana cost was 200 or thereabouts . Then Factor another 100 or so for dyk…..

After exchange rate it was more than aliexpress who used dhl and I had it delivered to the house in 8 days.

I get the feeling the shars would be better quality but the issues I noted are all addressable if I put In some time with hand scraping etc.

I would also confirm the collet type on the shars. Some ads show 5C some are r8. I’d make sure you know

If u do order, leave it in the shopping cart for a couple of days and they will email u a 5% off coupon…. I did this for all my shars orders

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Did your machine Kevin come with everything you need? Diamond wheels? Other accessories required to do EM's? do you have a link if you could be so kind?

I can just see it - I too will have a cutter grinder sitting there waiting for me to learn how to use it.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Here is a link to the machine I got. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32819200724.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dxUYttD

The only issue I had is that the motor was running in reverse but it required two wires to be switched. It came with the 3 attachments for end-mill, drill-bit and lathe-tool. Capacity is 3/4" max. It is a 110V machine, R8, and came with 5 metric collets, and two wheels.

I don't like the color, but that is easy to augment. My cost shipped was $1465. Well packaged. Sharpening/Shaping HSS tool bits for the lathe/shaper has made this tool worth it already. Ultra precise, set any angle you want and get at it. It's no Deckel, but all my issues are with the castings (odd burrs, fit/finish), and the lack of oil/lube ports, but that is an easy fix.

The reason I picked THIS one was the amount of ambiguity on all the other machines. Some are 220V. Some don't specify the collet taper. Some don't have the 3 tools, some don't come with collets..... The seller is NOT the manufacturer by a long shot. They knew nothing about the machine when I contacted them about the motor, BUT, they did respond quickly and often on WhatsApp. Once they suggested swapping the white/black wires on the 110V I politely said thank-you. They even reached out to me on xmas to wish me the best this year.

Once you get one, we'll send you your members jacket and slippers for the "Grinder in a corner looking lonely" club.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
I forwarded u the emails from shars re: shipping and warranty . For reference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Conroy

Premium Member
Accusize Canada normally carries one that sounds like Kevin's with R8 collets and the 3 different attachments for end mills, drill bits and lathe tools plus it is 110 Volt. There are a couple of demonstration videos on the link. They are out of stock right now but the most recent price is $1588 CDN. I wonder how much the shipping would be.

https://accusizetools.com/products/...r-grinder-with-standard-accessories-110v-60hz

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I watched their video - I thought the machine was noisy and had poor bearings. Are they all like that? e.g. aliexpress or other makes?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Their video quality was not the best but better than nothing I guess. Best to watch Rob Renzetti & Stefan's videos. Both are the Chinese versions. Stefan did a few tweaks to improve & you can learn a lot about functionality. Rob went through more effort bedding the way bar with Moglice, but he is a perfectionist & knows his stuff. AFAIK there are 2 lines that look the same from across the room but probably have differences inside: 100% China (Accusize, Shars, Ali... others) and Taiwan (labels I cant recall off hand). The Taiwan model is 2X the price & I don't think as progressive on the more common collet types that are appearing on the Chinese machines. Originally they all cloned the Deckel's which are U collets. Those are also available as offshore aftermarkets (the euro ones are insanely priced). But now the Chinese ones machines can come in R8, possibly 5C too. Anyways probably more suitable for N-Am especially if you have some of these collets already.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That's the generic unit that we are talking about in R8 collet flavor. A more common name is tool & cutter grinder (T&CG). You have to really check the prices (among other things). Some the bundle tooling jigs, lamp, accessories & sometimes extra wheels, some don't or certain accessories. Some are FOB Asia, others in N-AM but different shipping cost. They are not exactly lightweight or small so insured shipping should be factored. We have chatted about these in other posts. I think like fine wine, some are aging in oak casks haha.