• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tips/Techniques Screw Checker

Tips/Techniques

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I was using my new tap handles by making some new thread cutters out of 1/8 plate. In doing so I realized that I have a thread checker I use all the time that I don't think we have ever discussed. Maybe I'm wrong.

But anyway, this little "Screw Checker" is available at many suppliers (even Amazon) in both metric and imperial versions. It is a VERY useful plate.

First you take the subject screw and find the best fit on the left side to identify the diameter. Then you can find the thread pitch by trying it in each of the holes to the right. It isn't as perfect as a thread gauge because it only uses a thin plate, but in practice it still works awesome!

There is also some other useful info on the plate including drill size.

20230218_112958.jpg

Can you tell I use a lot of 8-40 and 6-48 screws???

The two deformations at the top right were the result of using the wrong tool to straighten a small tanged plate in a hydraulic press. Live and learn. I'd replace the gauge plate, but it's a good reminder to always use the proper tool because I keep this plate its metric sister nice and handy.

Never knew before Brownell's made these but I always admired the nut and bolt checkers at Home Depot and have wanted to make my own for years Project #1000001! Still haven't got around to actually making one although I have thought about many possible designs for it.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I cant fathom that a sheet of metal with standardized holes has a patent#/pending.

Anyways I'm fond of making simple blocks of MDF to hold sets of oddball tooling. For example progressive sizes of center drills, 60/90/120-deg or burrs or whatever one uses often. I have one for common tap/clearance drills 2-56 to 8-32. I'm just about to make one for metric now: maybe up to M4: tap drill & the associated clearance sizes which are oddball. Saves rooting around different fractional or numbered drills. I use metric quite a bit now. You can get 10-packs of high quality cobalt drills for $5. Probably if I had a 3DP I would make custom trays like this. I've even glued the CAD drawing onto the block itself, displaying the dimensions or whatever.

1676745480490.png

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Quite pricey if you get both metric and inferial and add another checker for nuts.

Ya, this kind of stuff adds up fast. The one you posted is even more but it's for the bigger fasteners so that makes total sense. Making my own would prolly cost just as much by the time you buy all those individual nuts and bolts.

I do ok on the big stuff just lookin at em. But it would still be cool to have one.

It's also nice that the farm supply and hardware stores have them handy for customers to use.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Pacific Fasteners nylon giveaway

Attachments

• Screw Checker 1.jpeg
    Screw Checker 1.jpeg
    298.2 KB · Views: 9

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I cant fathom that a sheet of metal with standardized holes has a patent#/pending.

That's hilarious! Never noticed it!

I'd guess that it's just their way of scaring off the odd pirate without incurring the cost of actually patenting anything.

Send it off to a lawyer for a patenting quote and it's magically patent pending.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I just noticed that the metal Brownnells and the plastic Pacific Fastener version both have the same patent. Same as teh Lee Valley. I sense a lawsuit!

Tecnico

(Dave)
I'm not feeling the love here, none of those gauges cover the BSF/Whitworth fasteners on my Myford lathe! :rolleyes:

I have one of those cheap plastic things that Curtis Ind hand out but I've never used it, no metric either. I should toss it!

I resort to calipers, thread gauges and the Mk I eyeball. For my calibration, if it just doesn't look right it's probably metric.

I do like the tap drill listings on the plates though, I'm forever referring to my Starrett chart.

D :cool:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I do like the tap drill listings on the plates though, I'm forever referring to my Starrett chart.

For simple screws the plate references work. So does the Starrett chart. But I often find I want to fine tune that for material or next best drill or more thread engagement. I have an android app that covers all the bases.

Tap & Drill Chart Calculator by Greg Miller.

If you have an I-phone I can't help you. LOL!

Tecnico

(Dave)
For simple screws the plate references work. So does the Starrett chart. But I often find I want to fine tune that for material or next best drill or more thread engagement. I have an android app that covers all the bases.

Tap & Drill Chart Calculator by Greg Miller.

If you have an I-phone I can't help you. LOL!

No iPhone! iPad maybe....;) I'll have to put the Android App on the to look at list after #42-256.

I also have charts from Little Machine Shop that offer alternative tap drill sizes for % thread depth for things like steel & aluminum, helps me keep my copy of Machinery's Handbook away from dirty fingers.

Do you know that Starrett offers free hard copy and electronic copies ("within reasonable quantities") of their drill, tap and conversion charts? They also have a nice pdf on using the basic hand (measurement) tools? It's a good read.

D :cool: