• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Schaubin Collect/Turret lathe: Calgary $2800

gerritv

Gerrit
That would be a bargain to me, wish I needed another lathe.
Not many North American companies bought this level of quality.

Gerrit

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I doesn't get any better than Schaublin, but for anyone contemplating it.....eyes wide open. They don't come up that often, but its an expensive future if you have to start buying parts. A friend of mine just bought a 102 tailstock and brought it over from Europe, it was close to the asking price for that lathe. You might get one for 1/2 that on ebay, but its the old huge spread between the bid and the ask for rare machinery paraphernalia. You also might wait years if not willing to step up and pay the European prices. And if trying to get a sense of value, usually the 102's do not command the prices the 70's do. While larger, tThere were a lot more them made, and the 70 have a sweet spot with watch/clock people. This one is further challenged in that its a F style headstock - these were what they called productions vs tool makers lathes, although the parts are interchanble and the quality is the same. It takes the F type dead length collets which don't seem as desirable or commanding of the same price vs W20 or W25. Some of them even took 5C

A friend of mine just sold a W25 102, had it on kijiji. It had a good collection of W25 collets. I think he got 3000, probably similar condition but complete (no creampuff).

I've got a soft spot for these, have a bunch of 70's (2 keepers, one I'm reconditioning for a friend and a 4th that is another big project). They are spectacular, but you really want to network until you find a complete one, and then just ignore the price and buy it. Another I've a W20 102 in my future, basically trading some work for it...god knows where I'll put it!

Last edited: