• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Safety Tip of the Day

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Just ran into my old neighbour. His head looks like he did 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. When I asked him what happened he told me he tripped in his shop and cracked his head on his bandsaw going down. It's a real mess and he just missed his eye by less than an inch. He's black and blue still and said he thought that was the end for him. Worst part was the wait at urgent care where he said he was lucky he even got in—despite all the blood coming out.

How did it happen? His shoelace hooked on a half eyelet. I always hated those damn things and routinely squeeze mine shut whenever I get a new pair of shoes/boots. Unless you are a hiker or use all the time they are an accident waiting to happen—especially if you have a pair of shoes you normally leave laced up and just slide your feet into.

So word to the wise....this is the second person I know who has done this. Jeeeze Louise.

1633391636715.png

1633391659432.png

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
My daughter went to the hospital in an ambulance because an eyelet caught a shoelace when she was running for a bus. 400$ ambulance. 2 days in hospital with a concussion.

Perry

Ultra Member
I had that happen as a younger guy. Pair of hiking boots. Straight down. Face first.

I like this thread.

Safety tip of the day. Great idea.

Have you gents seen the chainsaw discs for angle grinders?
Something to think about.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Beejebuss, as i get older most of my power tools could be a safety hazard. Got a small ding last week from a bead axe.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That was good to see. I have one of those chainsaw blades I have yet to try. I'm pretty sure I would not have been as cautious with it as I will be now. Thank you you probably saved me an injury.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Just ran into my old neighbour. His head looks like he did 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. When I asked him what happened he told me he tripped in his shop and cracked his head on his bandsaw going down. It's a real mess and he just missed his eye by less than an inch. He's black and blue still and said he thought that was the end for him. Worst part was the wait at urgent care where he said he was lucky he even got in—despite all the blood coming out.

How did it happen? His shoelace hooked on a half eyelet. I always hated those damn things and routinely squeeze mine shut whenever I get a new pair of shoes/boots. Unless you are a hiker or use all the time they are an accident waiting to happen—especially if you have a pair of shoes you normally leave laced up and just slide your feet into.

So word to the wise....this is the second person I know who has done this. Jeeeze Louise.

View attachment 17516

View attachment 17517
Was he wearing pants or shorts?

One of the very first shops I worked at the owner liked to walk around in shorts and sandals, in the summer. Then Herbie got wise to that and angled the cutting torches at the right angle to throw fresh slag at the owner. Boy did that guy ever dance :D

That’s probably one of the home shops worst habits, is just going out quick to do something, and not being dressed for work

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Was he wearing pants or shorts?

One of the very first shops I worked at the owner liked to walk around in shorts and sandals, in the summer. Then Herbie got wise to that and angled the cutting torches at the right angle to throw fresh slag at the owner. Boy did that guy ever dance :D

That’s probably one of the home shops worst habits, is just going out quick to do something, and not being dressed for work
Shorts and sandals in a metal shop eh? We ought to be grateful. It saves the rest of us from wasting too much us time having to figure them out.

The great thing about stupid people is that they tend to self-identify.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Ah, things we learn the hard way. Don’t wear a t-shirt with a hole in a welding shop. Who knew belly button skin was that sensitive? Every other area of skin was covered. Arc burns are very uncomfortable.