• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Sad news - Gordon Lightfoot passed yesterday.

Maker Mike

Premium Member
Me too. Listen when I want to contemplate on life. I saw him in concert a few years ago. Would have like to see him in his prime.

Engmaxx

(Michael)
Like a lot of bands and artists, there is a time to let it go and let us remember the songs sung the way they were made. The loss of voice, tone, raspiness and new artist direction on classics is typically a no-go in my books. Example: always a Tragically Hip fan (especially after seeing them in my late teens at the Masonic Temple on Yonge St, Toronto) I absolutely hated the way Gordon Downy used a growly voice in his later concerts. Ah well, RIP both Gordon's!

Everett

Super User
I came across a stack of my uncle's Gordon Lightfoot 8-tracks upstairs at my Granny's when I was 13. Yes, I had an 8-track player of my own. The first song I heard of his was the Canadian Railroad Trilogy, followed by the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Completely blown away. Been hooked ever since and even learned to sing and play some of his songs.
Getting to see him live was on my bucket list until 12 years ago when I got to see him here in Edmonton at the Jubilee. He was getting a bit tired even at that point but was still good at reading and interacting with his audience.
Memory Eternal, Mr. Lightfoot!

Engmaxx

(Michael)
The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald gripped me in Grade 5 when I first heard it in class. Blown away as well. Funny that is the song my daughters all know and love him for too. Eerie classic.

JustaDB

Ultra Member
I hit about 35 blogs on any given day, plus a few news sites. I'm guessing a dozen or more had tributes to Lightfoot today, far more than any other artist of recent passing.

I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the response.

Bandit

I grown up and then older with his songs, still like them.
Ian Tyson also passed away this last winter, of the same time frame, maybe best known for his western song/story's . Remember a bit of him and Slyviva Tryson and that band.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I came across a stack of my uncle's Gordon Lightfoot 8-tracks upstairs at my Granny's when I was 13. Yes, I had an 8-track player of my own. The first song I heard of his was the Canadian Railroad Trilogy, followed by the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Completely blown away. Been hooked ever since and even learned to sing and play some of his songs.
Getting to see him live was on my bucket list until 12 years ago when I got to see him here in Edmonton at the Jubilee. He was getting a bit tired even at that point but was still good at reading and interacting with his audience.
Memory Eternal, Mr. Lightfoot!
I'd bet my 12 year old son is the only kid in his school that knew who Gordon Lightfoot was (at least before G.L. died). I never had an 8 track but I still spin the odd old scratchy vinyl LP. Sometimes the scratches and pops of the old vinyl is part of the memories.

Tecnico

(Dave)