• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Rust inhibitor

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There are so many products &, crazy prices - I'm starting to wonder about snake oil markup. Lets say I want to assemble typical outdoor use machinery like lawnmower, snow blower etc. that sees wet & dry cycles (corrosion recipe). Would spraying this stuff on fasteners & parts before/after assembly help keep the rust minimized? This was cheapest can at KBC just as example.

Attachments

• EDT-2021-07-23 6.59.47 PM.jpg
    EDT-2021-07-23 6.59.47 PM.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 15

John Conroy

Premium Member
I've been using Fluid Film, available at Canadian tire and princess auto. It's been doing a good job for me on all my lathe chucks, machine ways, drill press etc. I don't know how it would work in a more humid climate though, pretty dry here in Alberta.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I've used Fluid Film on snowblowers for years and years, as do most of my snowblower fanatics (patients?) on the snowblower forum I am a member of. Fluid Film is classed as a wool wax. One of its properties is that is it slippery, yet clings to surfaces. Hence it sticks to things but allows snow and water to run off.

I have a strange obsession with water pumps and am constantly acquiring them and fixing them. Yet I don't use them that often. The cast iron gets sprayed with FF, which prevents corrosion.

FF also smells like breakfast sausage to me. I'm perplexed why they don't use this in their marketing materials.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Something I use just because i always have it on hand is G96 gun spray (and available at most any local gun store). Has a carbon & rust remover element to it as well as a retentive lube property after the carrier evaporates.

And as an afterthought it would be a very good spray for snow blowers....I've used guns at -30 that still work the action when sprayed with the stuff, it doesnt seem to freeze up.