• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

ribbon cable ID

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Any of you electrical savvy guys recognize this kind of ribbon cable? From memory its about 5mm wide x 1mm thick x maybe 60mm long, 3 gold metal contact pads on one side. It slides into a matching socket receptacle.

Attachments

• IMG_3821_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_3821_edited-1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3822_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_3822_edited-1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 23

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It does look like that, thanks John. I tried a couple keywords with 3-pin/pad/connector.. mostly the count is higher. I think I need to extract some info off the cable & try searching on that

1616642031787.png

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes I was on that site. I couldn't narrow down the search so will have to see what i can read off my cable. I may also be wrong about the number of pins & that's why. Looking at my pic I see 4 contacts on the plug-in receptacle, maybe I'm wrong about 3.

found this on ebay, getting warmer...
1616698362860.png

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Can you not just use the number of conductors you need and cut off the excess strands (or leave them, if you have space)?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My issue is I would like a slightly longer ribbon. I want to relocate a switch & suspect this one will be too short to reach. Both ends have these teeny copper pads which plug into a corresponding contact receptacle. I could do some micro soldering splicing preserving the ends but yeesh it’s tiny & would be in a pickle if I buggered it up.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
The DigiKey website isn't the easiest to navigate. I would call or email them with want you have and what you need and let them find it.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I ended up sourcing ribbon cable through Ebay supplier. Dirt cheap & fast delivery. The switch relocation went as planned. The magic smoke stayed in. The longer length allows me to open the TX like a book. Now I have a tactile push button positioned exactly where I want & no longer have to put grip tape on the unit.

Attachments

• IMG_3919_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_3919_edited-1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3927_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_3927_edited-1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3928_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_3928_edited-1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3933_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_3933_edited-1.jpg