• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

R8 tool storage

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Its so beautiful :D. A Good way to eliminate the scrap pile, keep the wife happy, and its usefulness far outweighs its monetary value. WIN WIN WIN

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Probably should have spray bombed it Lab White before getting all user-tool-oily. Oh well, too late now. Ha-ha.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Or ;) you could re home it and make another one! :D I have a lot of mdf if you need more lol, i do not have wood tools sufficent for this type of work

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I chose to make this smaller one over a bigger one mostly so I could fit the template on my 8.5x11 printer. Plus I figure easier to organize tools on limited shelf real estate. Here's the templates, they are non dimensioned. I just use spray adhesive, cut to the line & remove paper with thinner. Some R8 tooling heads might be a bit bigger that what I have so either alternate big/small tool or I guess have to space them out a bit more.

ps. I originally said 3/8" stock but its actually 1/2" thick.

Attachments

• base.PDF
    32.2 KB · Views: 10
  • side.PDF
    30.5 KB · Views: 4
  • top shelf.PDF
    31.9 KB · Views: 5

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Oh machining gods I forgive me I used cardboard ...

Attachments

• 057267F3-40C2-458A-B015-4D9C3EBFFA35.jpeg
    057267F3-40C2-458A-B015-4D9C3EBFFA35.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 11

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
I keep smalls in thier original packaging, but for the chuck, boaring head and face mills this is way better than what i have.... although foam is likely where they will go :D

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
.. forgive me I used cardboard ...
Looks conspicuously like my metal cut-offs storage system :/ I used to have access to these 4x6x24"cardboard boxes at work which are a nice size, but they are getting beat & the supply dried up. I'm still looking for the right (cheap) standardized container. Most of the plastic ones with a lid are too flimsy. Ideally would be great if they nestled & stack. My other system for rods & such is cardboard or plastic plumbing tubes, but its not good for small loose ends & cut-offs. Must continue my quest. I'm sure I could come up with sturdy & cheap plywood boxes but its table saw type work. Maybe Ikea has something cheap ...named 'BjornKvst' ... and in stock.

Jimbojones

Bought one of these a while back:
https://www.colletizer.com/store/p33/R8_Collet_Rack_-_Bench/Drawer_-_Blank.html

Works well but I'd rather find the raw material the top is made from and make my own layout; I think that material is cellular PVC and there is a similar product @ building centers but 1) they only have it 1" (3/4 real) thickness and due to the fact that they sell it as trim, it usually only comes in white w/wood grain pattern (on at least 1 side)

I've got a guy on ON as a distributer that can supply something similar in black/other colors and either 1 or 2" thick (good for 5c or ER32 collets) but he has no reseller in Alberta. Awaiting for a sample from him to see how well it machines...he claims it doesnt burn easily.

If anyone else in Calgary has source for cellular PVC let me know...

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Try

Norwesco Industries
6908 6 St SE
Calgary, AB
T2H 2K4
403-258-3883

They were always very helpful when it came to finding weird plastics...

Jimbojones

I like these guys too; willing to sell partial piece for a project (as long as they have it in stock). I get my UHMW and Delrin from them.

They have PVC foam board but only in thin sheets (1/8) and I don't think its quite the same product...need to see a bigger chunk so they are going to talk to their supplier to see if they can get thicker sample.

Try

Norwesco Industries
6908 6 St SE
Calgary, AB
T2H 2K4
403-258-3883

They were always very helpful when it came to finding weird plastics...