• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Quiet air compressor ?

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
Or contradiction in terms ?
I've got an old Craftsman horizontal that has served me well but it seems to be getting louder.
Starting to think about a new one, youtube shows some quieter ones.
Any one got a horizontal one they like ? Don't need a big one, don't have space for a big one.
TIA

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I use the makita MAC5200 horizontal as my 'portal' compressor. I really like the compressor (fit/finish/function) and after googling it comes in at 90 decibels. Not sure if this is loud/quiet by your standards, but it is definitely quieter than any 'oil-less' variation I've owned before.

Huizer

Not sure about commercial options, but the quietest air compressor I have owned was a DIY unit that used the compressor from a fridge/freezer mounted to an air brake tank from a truck. It had all the usual safeties: pressure reg, pressure relief, unloader switch.
it was as quiet as the fridge in your house. Not a lot of volume but perfect for cleaning parts etc.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Quite a lot can be done to modify the sound of any compressor to make the noise less irritating. A muffler on the intake give surprisingly satisfying results. Of course a sound enclosure can do a lot as well.

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
Quite a lot can be done to modify the sound of any compressor to make the noise less irritating. A muffler on the intake give surprisingly satisfying results. Of course a sound enclosure can do a lot as well.
Yes, just watched a couple videos re: mufflers for air compressors - I might just try that, probably cheaper than a new one !

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
KMS sells similar portable California Air just to expand your evaluation list (and other brands). I have a 60dB unit & its perfect for my needs, but I don't run CFM air gobbler tools. I loved the tank & form factor of my 6HP Sears *Dewalt) but it was insanely loud. I think its the flapper mechanism in that size. May as well go right up to a piston cylinder unit if you need that volume, they are much quieter. Most all require 220v in that HP class.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Not sure about commercial options, but the quietest air compressor I have owned was a DIY unit that used the compressor from a fridge/freezer mounted to an air brake tank from a truck. It had all the usual safeties: pressure reg, pressure relief, unloader switch.
it was as quiet as the fridge in your house. Not a lot of volume but perfect for cleaning parts etc.
Yes I had an air compressor made out of an ac compressor from an old farm tractor and it was as quite as any regular air compressor I've seen. However that finally gave up the ghost and I bought a compact "Motomaster" unit to replace it and it is loud as hell! The "Maximum " units mentioned above are obviously different from my "Motomaster" series. 16238688184541337746952368168853.jpg

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
KMS sells similar portable California Air just to expand your evaluation list (and other brands). I have a 60dB unit & its perfect for my needs, but I don't run CFM air gobbler tools. I loved the tank & form factor of my 6HP Sears *Dewalt) but it was insanely loud. I think its the flapper mechanism in that size. May as well go right up to a piston cylinder unit if you need that volume, they are much quieter. Most all require 220v in that HP class.

220V is no problem, may actually be preferred as the existing one is wired 220V @20 amp circuit right beside the unit. Kind of needs to be a "smallish" horizontal as the current one is "stashed" under one end of my work bench. I don't use a lot of air although it has gone up lately as I've been using an air mister on my mill as well as a (air) power drawbar.

Try googling- diy build a soundproof air compressor box

There's a huge amount of different designs to choose from, and most are fairly inexpensive. If you spend more, you can make it virtually silent. And still spend way less than a new air compressor .
Lots of people even mount the box and compressor outside their garage.
Hope this helps,
Ken

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I have a California Air and I'm more than happy with the noise level.

Me too. Only does 4cfm @90 psi. Ok for many things but won’t run serious air tools. Painting is ok. Wouldn’t keep up running say a die grinder or cut off wheel. For that I have a 220v 5hp. Pretty loud but not as loud as the no oil cheapies.