• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Question regarding coatings on S.S balls?

mprozycki

Hello fellow enthusiasts,

I've been trying to reverse engineer some ball-socket joint designs using 360 fusion. I purchased these joints from John Wright model maker in the U.K. I'm doing this for personal use as I am a fan of stop-motion animation.

joint_01.jpg

The current joint I'm studying is made of stainless steel plates with a coated stainless steel ball. I also have a previous version that was made from mild steel and a 304 stainless steel ball (no coating). You can see both in the attached pic.

I just would like to find out more information on the coating used with the new joint design?

IMG_0282.jpg

I'm assuming it's TiC to help improve mechanical function. I've read that these coatings help with lubrication and wear, among other things.

If someone knows a bit more about this sort of process, please fell free to share. Thank you.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Cant help you on the ball but I'm curious about the seat surface under the ball surface. Is it a simple chamfer or..?
Is the general idea you want a certain amount of sticking tension so you can make a slight movement to an arm in the ball & it stays put? The screw is to set that tension?

mprozycki

Its a seat made with a ball-end mill. Like a chamfer but with a curved profile. You could just use a hole and a chamfer would develop over time with wear.

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 6.11.10 PM.png

That's the idea. You have soldered pins that allow you to adjust the balls position and the screw tension keeps the ball in its place.

Last edited:

mprozycki

Yeah, John Wright has been around for some time. I've always viewed his work as a industry standard. Not to mention these joints are wonderful when they're assembled into an armature.