• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Proto Space Open House Meetup.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Hello All,

Protospace Meetup - Tuesday June 30th, 2015. 7:00pm. Protospace Calgary.

No Door Fees. Bring anything you want to share or discuss with the group!

Map Link: https://goo.gl/maps/R8fbC
(Map is confirmed to be correct this time ;D )

I've already reached out to Protospace, and have had some email correspondence with Byron. His reply below for discussion and planning!

====================
Byron Hynes:

Hi (Jwest7788),

Let me see if I can address some of your questions... There is no cost to attend any of our open house events. Most of the time, there isn't a specific agenda at an open house, people are working on projects, tours are happening, and it can be quite social. Often, though, not much work gets done. :) Tuesday nights can be both crowed and vibrant. So, you'd be welcome to drop by any Tuesday, including the 30th.

That having been said, for 10+ people (JW: I'm hopeful, haha), we'd be happy to set up a tour at a different time, if you like. The advantage to Tuesday is that it's "reserved" in most of our calendars, but some of us work shifts and events, so finding another good time can be a bit of a challenge especially in early summer, so either way. You won't get as much individual, specific attention if there is a large crowd, but you won't see as many things going on if you come separately.

There's no process to dropping in to an open house; there is a process for joining, which I (or any of our members) will be happy to go over with interested parties.

Byron

====================

Alright, so if the above date and time work for you, please reply with an RSVP.
--> Am considering setting up a mailing list or something to help manage reminders.

If you have an alternate date and time you would like to explore, please reply with the details.

Otherwise, look forward to seeing everyone soon!

JW

Last edited:

kylemp

Just a note - I spoke with Byron today as I believe the tour was lined up with him, I will be bringing you guys through the shop and showing you around since the metalworking is more down my alley. There is a tim hortons on 32nd if we all want to meet there and head down, its only a few blocks away.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Some people may not see this post in time, so let's say optional pre-meet at Tim hortons for 6:00-6:30. Head to protospace for 7:00. :)

I'll head to the Tim's after work. I'll Arrive around 6:15.

Tim hortons in question:
1341 32 Ave NE, Calgary, AB T2E 7Z5

kylemp

Some people may not see this post in time, so let's say optional pre-meet at Tim hortons for 6:00-6:30. Head to protospace for 7:00. :)

I'll head to the Tim's after work. I'll Arrive around 6:15.

Tim hortons in question:
1341 32 Ave NE, Calgary, AB T2E 7Z5

If you get a chance to grab the extra tool holders and stuff you have I'd like to take a look at them.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
If you get a chance to grab the extra tool holders and stuff you have I'd like to take a look at them.
Shoot, I poorly planned that, my place is in the deep south, and I'm off work at 5:30 near chinook. Likely won't go home before heading up.

I'll gather everything up and take some pics tonight/tomorrow (I have the holiday off)

What's Protospace's stance on drop ins to use the facility?

kylemp

I live just off 162nd ave, so maybe I can check them out another time.

Once you are a member and have a card its 24/7 access, if you just want to come and see then Tuesdays is the open house night.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Nice event! Good space - funny all the cool stuff belongs to Kyle. Anyone joining?

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I don't think I'm going to take the dive just yet.

Their location used to be by princess auto south. That would be a quick sign up for me. But as I am across the street from cranston, I don't see myself driving up there too many nights in a row!

I might down the road if a project calls for a particular tool I can't get access to any other way, but who knows!

Anyone else?

(Great experience either way though!)

Mphenley

Premium Member
I think I might once I'm working again, and have funding for my projects besides what the wife is willing to trickle my way ;)