• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Projects

BradH

Here is a finished flycutter I made early this year... it is based on a design from Hemmingway. A similar design is sold commercially. The cutter holder is the 90° half of a double ended Busybee boring bar. The boring bar holder is machined from some awful gummy hot rolled round stock that I was happy to find a home for. The two set screws bored hold the boring bar in position. A groove and set screw on the back side limit travel. It can sweep just north of 7".

It is designed with a flat and is held in a 1" end mill holder. Alternatively, could have been left without the flat and held in a 1" (or whatever size you want) collet.
P101012920110101_0010.JPG P101013020110101_0011.JPG

BradH

Thanks! There are a few gaffs in it, but nothing that affects the operation. It works very well but with shallow depth of cut only. Reasonable finish.

The tool holding bar is half of a BusyBee 1/4" lathe boring bar. They are less than $20 I think - 90° holder on one side and 45° on the other. I used the 90° half.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I agree a video would be great. The tricky part is making the video yourself while machining. My next video will hopefully be filmed by someone else. Nice flycutter I have seen them on eBay in the past. Good idea for re cutting cylinder heads flat.

BradH

OK. Apparently I can't use .mov or .mpeg4 movies on the site...

However, here is a pre / post shot of hot rolled steel, and a table for my Harold Hall grinding rest project... all surfaced with this tool.
P101015020110101_0008.JPG P101015120110101_0009.JPG P101014320110101_0001.JPG

Attachments

• P101014320110101_0001.JPG
    P101014320110101_0001.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 2

BradH

Also, using a (poorly designed / ground) trepanning tool... I cut these discs from light aluminum plate. The one with holes in it is a jig for repairing a garnish on a motorcycle exhaust. The jig held some threaded bushings so a friend could TIG them into place.

The numerous grooves were to get the sizing correct for the application...

P101014420110101_0002.JPG

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
OK. Apparently I can't use .mov or .mpeg4 movies on the site...

However, here is a pre / post shot of hot rolled steel, and a table for my Harold Hall grinding rest project... all surfaced with this tool.
View attachment 74 View attachment 75 View attachment 76
Looks Fantastic, Looking forward to seeing the grinding rest.

I'll look into the video upload thing, I suspect it's disabled by default to keep the data storage on the server down. I recommend upload to youtube for now while I investigate.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I'll look into the video upload thing

I found this reply from another forum manager looking to do the same:

EQnobile said:
Vicki said:
I'd like to see Resource Manager allows users to upload self created videos as resource content
All video uploaded MUST be encoded by the server to make sure the video is of the right format and so that things like MOOV atom are in the correct place etc etc. The reason that this is an issue is that you need a pretty beast server for your site and the video processing, or better yet a dedicated server for encoding video or a dedicated encoding service.

For most people this is not worth it because you will be spending from 100-300 a month just for video and if you don't have users submitting unique video content there is not really a way to justify this cost and for a developer to build something only a very small percentage of people can use and add it to an existing paid product where most of the user base can't make use of a major option...well it would make absolutely no sense.

Looks like we're stuck using Youtube for the foreseeable future. (I'm open to the above solution, down the road, but not looking feasible at the moment. I'll continue looking into this later today though.)

JW

BradH

Hi JW:

The grinding rest will be a while... it is a work in continual progress... but making a few bits here and there as I go.

Thanks RE: the video. I am not too bothered by it, personally. As Alexander pointed out it is difficult to do well. I suspect mine wouldn't be of the highest quality!

Have some other items to show here pretty quick...

B.