• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Pratt and Whitney Tool and Cutter Grinder

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Last year I met a guy from Minnesota on HobbyMachinist.com who had an 'extra' tool and cutter grinder. After quite a bit of negotiation, haggling and arm wrestling by email (both ways), we settled on a price. It turns out that his wife wanted to see Banff again, the last time was in her childhood. So we settled on a price that included its delivery to my garage door(!!) and then five months later, in July, it arrived!

It is a 'Keller' cutter grinder, which was sold to sharpen cutters for an enormous 3D pantograph mill called a 'Keller machine' - 30 feet high, operated by 4-6 men, commonly used to create the huge dies that made auto body panel dies.

This one is a 1931 model, and will take about a year to restore. It was found outside a tool and die shop, and he bought it at scrap price - it was being picked up that week by a metal recycler to be melted down! It was a great save on his part, but he already had the next bigger model.

The collets you see in the coolant tray are unique to these machines, are hard to find, and very expensive if you find any at all - it is a wonder he had two sets, and was able to give me one! The size goes from 1 1/4 to 3/8 by 1/16s missing 3 collets.

IMG_2757comp.jpg
IMG_2758comp.jpg

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Wow.

Suddenly I feel much better about the size of machines in my shop. Thanks.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Wow, looks solid. Its going to be nice. I've heard P&W developed many industry standard collets & spindle noses and....of their own specs back in the industrial day when they were king. Do you know what that particular T&C format was called?