• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Power Sources

Good day, does anyone have experience or knowledge of using rotary phase converters?

I have bought a lathe, milling machine and horizontal band saw, all three phase, they seemed like good deals at the time!

I also bought a 15hp rotary phase converter, hooked it all up according to the instructions and still no joy for getting my lathe to run.

There are three wires in the motor that the instructions don't say what to do with, as well, I've used a three wire twist lock connection, do the wires have to match from the capacitor bank to the safety switch on the large?

I have more questions but I think I'll tackle one at a time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Do bear with me as I personally do not have much experience with three phase:

Are you sure it's not a 240V motor? Three wire setup is common for many of the 240V machines I have run, including an electric motor for an old compressor.

Someone more knowledgeable will chime in, but I wanted to mention what came to mind in case it helps at all.

kylemp

I know how they run and the general principle, but I haven't wired one. Do you know if the voltage of your machines matches the voltage of the power you have for them?
The general idea is that you start it up and get the idler moving, once it is moving it becomes a generator on the 3rd leg, providing 3 phase power.

Thanks for the responses!
Next question, does anyone know of an electrical supplier that will sell sell to a non-electrician, I'm looking for a safety switch to mount to my mill but I think the price A-G is charging is a bit ridiculous and none of the suppliers in Brandon will sell to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
If you have a week or two to wait, shop online for what you need. Amazon, or eBay. They never check qualifications.

Sent from my iPhone.