• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Plasma Cutter

alman

Hi All
looking to have a simple job done, need to have a piece of sheet metal cut out to use as a template for spray painting signs -
POST HOLES 899 2237

If anyone has a CNC or is VERY steady, let me know

Last edited:

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I do have a CNC but it is down indefinitely as I need to replace some parts now.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Oh no - what if we need more curtain bases? Hope it does not give you too much trouble.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Replacement motor en route, but bigger issue is I have several months devoted work on a fabrication job so won't even get to the repair until early spring me thinks :)

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
With some patience you can cut it out by hand out of sheet metal using a jewelers saw and using a file to smooth. Very cheap to do, and not too labour intensive. (about 1" per 2-3 minutes)

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Alman, what size does the template have to be.
I have a CNC router I'm learning to use.
I'm not sure how it would do on metal. I can give a cardboard one a try.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I have a cutter you can use, but steady hands not so much. --> I would likely kill the patient, which is why I'm not doing surgery.

alman

With some patience you can cut it out by hand out of sheet metal using a jewelers saw and using a file to smooth. Very cheap to do, and not too labour intensive. (about 1" per 2-3 minutes)
lololol I wish I had the patience, , , not this cat lol

alman

Hi John, pretty sure yur router will not appreciate cuttin steel , , will look around for another substitute material to make it with an let you know Tks !

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
hey alman, I suggested above to use HDPE for the template. It is very durable and paint-resistant.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
@Alexander had luck cutting aluminium with a circular saw. You could probably use thin gauge aluminium and a jig saw or scroll saw? but I think @Dabbler is right that choosing a paint resistant plastic is probably the way to go.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Yeah i would just like to add that i tried my jigsaw with a metal blade but that was too slow. The circular saw with an aluminum blade from rona worked nicely.

alman

Hi John

I am looking to use that plastic-coated board that u see used for lawn sings an the like, , maybe using a piece of that to rout would work for spray paint template, , , call me when u have time Al 403 899 2237 Queensland

alman

Hi John

happy New Year to ya !
I have scrap pieces of plastic coreboard it u want to try, , where r u located I in SE Queensland area 403 899 2237

jus need POST HOLES & 899 2237 cut out

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
COROPLAST it's the common name of the "plastic cardboard" y'all talking about. Looked for full sheets of it at Home Depot and was shocked at the $50+ Per piece price. Also consider the amount of paint applications as each layer will build up and dull crisp edges, cleaning is possible but the chemicals used my also break down the coroplast.

We used steel letter plates at Nascor to label the wall packages. They required cleaning no less than every week but if you are only making a dozen or 2 signs, should be no big deal.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I have a quantity of 1/8" HDPE just hanging around here. it is still available for you to try....