• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

PeterT

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hi everyone, my name is Peter. Glad to see some local hobbyist metalworking interest! Mostly I’m a long time RC model nut. So along with that came messing with composites, Cad design & bit of machining - mostly learning mode, making simple jigs & gadgets. I have a lathe and mill, self-taught kinda guy. One of my longstanding lofty goals is scratch building a functional scale model IC engine. So finally focusing effort down that path now with a 5-cyl radial. Look forward to seeing your projects, exchanging information & experience!

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
@PeterT I fly rc planes as well. I really want to build an engine too. I started working on live steam for now so I can build my way up to machine accurate reliable rc engines. If you run into a tricky part on your engine build let me know we could probably do work share and build 2 little engines some parts you can make 2 of and others I'll make 2. Do you know what I mean? Only if you want to though. I used to machine race engines from scratch for BRC Racing so I know it's a difficult project and you need to be meticulous. I am excited to see what you come up with.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'm planning to attend the Jun-30 meeting, so look meeting you folks in person.

Alexender, Wow, common interest synergies right from the get-go, that's cool. We have much to chat about. And thanks for the nice offer.
The radial engine is an ambitious undertaking (at least for me). I've been side-line lurker 'internet machinist' for quite some time, but this year finally decided to make a focused start. My immediate goal is to complete one complete cylinder stack, figuring if I can get that far I'll feel confident to replicate & continue with internals. So far I've worked on the cylinder, liner, piston, head, valves & valve cage. I call them prototypes, not yet parts :) Lots of trial & error & learning & jigs.... but slowly going in the right direction. I'll bring some example trinkets when we meet.