• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

pen making

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
On another subject, Darrin1200 posted a link to this (Canadian) company https://www.penblanks.ca/
That kind of perked my interest. I've been kind of interested to dabble in this area, nothing too crazy, maybe an occasional family gift. I'm guessing aside from the body stock material & pen/pencil innards kit, I likely have typical finishing supplies in my shop. I'm sure there are 100 YouTube videos I should be absorbing, but just wondering if there are some forum folks doing this? I'm sure I've seen some nice project pics. Feel free to post or attach links.

Looking at some of their beginner how-to guides, they show some mandrels, typically MT1,MT2. So guessing this corresponds to smaller lathes like Sherline, TAIG etc? So if I want to use my regular (14x40) lathe, would I use the straight shank [PKM-CL fits 5/8” diameter (no thread)] or make my own?
https://www.penblanks.ca/instructions/english/Penturning101ENG.pdf

Attachments

• SNAG-2021-08-27 9.41.21 AM.jpg
    SNAG-2021-08-27 9.41.21 AM.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 6
  • SNAG-2021-08-27 9.41.41 AM.jpg
    SNAG-2021-08-27 9.41.41 AM.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 5
  • SNAGIT.jpg
    SNAGIT.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 5
  • SNAG-2021-08-27 9.48.06 AM.jpg
    SNAG-2021-08-27 9.48.06 AM.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 4

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Didn't notice they had a Youtube channel. Shows some of the basics & (their) lathe setup

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Rabbit Hole ALERT! I swear.. I was just looking at mandrels!
Sorry wont let me post direct link, but YTV is this one
1630092126840.png

darrin1200

Darrin
Hey Peter
I fell down that rabbit hole more than 10 years ago. I started out making those kits that you saw on the web site. Now I make all my own parts.
These kits a really designed to be made on a wood lathe. The MT2 is the standard spindle bore on most wood lathes, big or small.
The basic premise of these kits, is to glue a brass tube into a piece of material. Then mounting it on the mandrels you saw, with a set of bushings, and turned to a specified size. These bushings not only hold the brass tube and material, they act as gauges for the size required.
A good forum for pen making, is the IAP (International Association of Penturners).
If you, or anyone, have questions, just ask.

George

What ever you do, do not buy the pen kits from Lee Valley they rip you off, buy from AliExpress, I’ve made quite a few, a pen blank is supposed to be 6” by 3/4 square, old pallets are sometimes made from what we call exotic wood, check them out, pen blanks at Lee Valley are anywhere from $6 and up. It’s great fun very relaxing and they make great gifts, pic is a few i made a few years ago. I am actually selling all part of my wood turning stuff, i bought 100 pen kits from AliExpress for i think $180 about 5 years ago and still have over half of them left lol. You have to have a separate set of bushings for each type of pen kit and there are many different styles of pen, I suggest you start with a slimline kit.

Attachments

• 2F6BFF4D-AFC7-47EF-9500-3CF7A5FF0031.jpeg
    2F6BFF4D-AFC7-47EF-9500-3CF7A5FF0031.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 10
  • 0C716FE5-5564-43EF-A603-27729F6FDA85.jpeg
    0C716FE5-5564-43EF-A603-27729F6FDA85.jpeg
    755.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 5410B546-9A05-42C6-9CCB-D7FCD75C109F.jpeg
    5410B546-9A05-42C6-9CCB-D7FCD75C109F.jpeg
    647.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 85936FC5-FB9A-401A-979A-FA7DA2454701.jpeg
    85936FC5-FB9A-401A-979A-FA7DA2454701.jpeg
    837.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 9696B1D5-B7C6-42EA-8C4A-A32EF2626A7C.jpeg
    9696B1D5-B7C6-42EA-8C4A-A32EF2626A7C.jpeg
    667.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks guys. I stumbled on the same website Darrin suggested, so I'll do some digging & ogling there. Wow, quite the hobby, I had no idea. My guess is they are predominantly wood lathe orientated so, I'll be coming at it from a different angle with a metal lathe. I don't know what I don't know yet, but aside from covering my ways from the brown dusty stuff (or thousands of other interesting resin based blanks people are using & making) hopefully it will be similar principles.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks George. Nice pens. Yes, I look at Lee Valley with a bit of discerning eye. Some things they are still good at, other things, rather disappointingly middle man game. I guess its a business, but normal guidance applies - check around & compare.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
My guess is they are predominantly wood lathe orientated so, I'll be coming at it from a different angle with a metal lathe. I don't know what I don't know yet, but aside from covering my ways from the brown dusty stuff (or thousands of other interesting resin based blanks people are using & making) hopefully it will be similar principles.

Sooo.... Peter's going down the rabbit hole is he:p

George

Pen turning requires a pen mandrel for the headstock and a live centre for the tailstock, a drill chuck is not required, a barrel trimmer is used in the drill press to level the blank with the brass tube in the pen blank. Although if doing it in a metal lathe it could be faced off in a similar way as metal turning but would require a 4 jaw chuck. Pen turning 101 is a good video . Don’t use epoxy, super glue works or super glue gel is my fav, I mean Dollar store stuff, cheap cheerful and it works.

Last edited:

darrin1200

Darrin
So I have this live tailstock chuck (MT2) that I believe they use in pen making? I bought it for something else but the accuracy of it wasn't good enough for my metal turning projects (I think there is 10 thou wobble) . Here is a Amazon link to them https://www.amazon.ca/PSI-Woodworking-products-LDC2MT-Tailstock/dp/B01M4P28BY

Anyhow I have no use for it and would like to sell it if anybody wants it.

I’ve used 60deg live centers, and through hole live centers, but never a live centre chuck.
Not sure how this would be used in pen making. Did it come with instructions?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I’ve used 60deg live centers, and through hole live centers, but never a live centre chuck.
Not sure how this would be used in pen making. Did it come with instructions?
No instructions and it is possible I'm wrong but I thought I read online somewhere these live centre chucks were used by pen makers. I'm not a pen maker so can't be sure but if you have a need to support a shaft or tube by the OD then this allows that to be accomplished. Similar to a steady rest but allows for tight areas and short distances.