• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Pallets of 4140

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I had a friend do some cutting of the 6.75" round for me. Brand new "13x20" saw. We only ran it about half speed and I don't think we used near the available down force. It took about 7-8 minutes per slice, I think 5 mins would have been possible but I'm just guessing. It is a very nice saw and I was so impressed that I just ordered myself a saw... but mine is just under $19000 cheaper! I probably should have never laid eyes on that real saw cuz I will likely always be disappointed in mine.

Don

Attachments

• IMG_20170412_0927095~01.jpg
    IMG_20170412_0927095~01.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 17

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I had a friend do some cutting of the 6.75" round for me. Brand new "13x20" saw. We only ran it about half speed and I don't think we used near the available down force. It took about 7-8 minutes per slice, I think 5 mins would have been possible but I'm just guessing. It is a very nice saw and I was so impressed that I just ordered myself a saw... but mine is just under $19000 cheaper! I probably should have never laid eyes on that real saw cuz I will likely always be disappointed in mine.

Don
What did you order Don? And don't worry about the 20k saw it's the 25k extra garage you would need just to house it. :>

kylemp

Well I did my cuts on my new saw, with the shitty blade that came with it and pushed it until it blew up. Best I could get was 15min per 6.75 inch round. Today I got new blades from Thomas skinner.. 100 bucks for 2 different blades, one of them is 2/3 varipitch, one is 8/12 I belive. They're both lennox bi metal 132 inch x 1inch, I'm not going to push them quite as far but I will let you know once I get a chance with the aggressive one.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
What did you order Don? And don't worry about the 20k saw it's the 25k extra garage you would need just to house it. :>

Yes I would be happy to just own the space to store such a saw, let alone ever buying the saw itself.

I ordered a "Kaka" ... a whata?!? Yes, a "Kaka industrial". It appears to be the same Taiwanese 7x12 saw that everyone else sells in different colours and brand names. It was the best price I could find delivered to me (Amazon, $1182 I believe). I know in Calgary I could have gotten similar pricing, but Cowtown is 5-6 hr return trip for me.
I hope I'm not disappointed or surprised with my purchase.

Don

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I don't think we used near the available down force. It took about 7-8 minutes per slice
I did my cut with the 2/3 blade in 6.75 in, roughly the same time.. 14.5 min
@John Conroy says his 7x12 saw from kms cuts the 6.75 in 34 min
My old hobby saw is a similar size to Kyle's but his is more like a small industrial saw and my saw is more like a big hobby saw. His Ellis 1800 has a 1" wide blade and my blade is only 3/4 it manages to cut the 6.75 4140 in 27 min. I did use flood coolant and ran the blade at high speed. The pitch of the blade is 8-12 VP