• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

On, off switch

Razzputen

I just picked up a Rockwell beaver lathe, rather old. For a on , off switch the previous owner had a breaker box with the old round fuses in it. Mind you it still runs. I’d like to put a on off switch in but not sure what type. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I just picked up a Rockwell beaver lathe, rather old. For a on , off switch the previous owner had a breaker box with the old round fuses in it. Mind you it still runs. I’d like to put a on off switch in but not sure what type. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Almost any type of on off switch should work as long as it's rated for the voltage being used. I assume it's a 120v machine. If so, a standard 120V wall light switch should work. Just install the switch into the hot wire to the lathe.

You should let us know the Amp draw on the motor and if you are running on 110v. I assume it’s less than 1hp, probably 1/2. You should be using a motor rated switch. There are cheap ones at Busy Bee and on Amazon. Next level up will contain an overload to protect the motor, then after that a full magnetic starter that has overload protection and will drop out from a loss of N

Personally I like these on my machines because of the large safety OFF paddle. Right now Amazon actually has a better deal than Busy Bee.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Thank you

@Razzputen I assume you are speaking to a Rockwell / Beaver wood lathe and stand like this one? Mine has the standard 120V on/off switch see upper left corner of the stand. Wood turning chisels in background upper right.

Yes I refurbished mine looks like new and runs and works perfectly. The mobile stand with locking casters keeps it dead steady. Got this idea for my mobile stand from 3 legged piano moving stands. Click on photo to enlarge. No drooling allowed. LOL

Far right a WW2 Airspeed Oxford pilots seat (side view) in the process of repair for the Vintage Aircraft Restorers group at our Western Development Museum.

Attachments

• 20180825_133107.jpg
    20180825_133107.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Hacker

Super User
@Razzputen I assume you are speaking to a Rockwell / Beaver wood lathe and stand like this one? Mine has the standard 120V on/off switch see upper left corner of the stand. Wood turning chisels in background upper right.

Yes I refurbished mine looks like new and runs and works perfectly. The mobile stand with locking casters keeps it dead steady. Got this idea for my mobile stand from 3 legged piano moving stands. Click on photo to enlarge. No drooling allowed. LOL

Far right a WW2 Airspeed Oxford pilots seat (side view) in the process of repair for the Vintage Aircraft Restorers group at our Western Development Museum.
The lathe looks great!!

Frcsc6el8

Thank you
I have a drum switch which would allow the spindle to be reversed for sanding. $25 plus billing or pickup in Vancouver. John

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I bouf
Personally I like these on my machines because of the large safety OFF paddle. Right now Amazon actually has a better deal than Busy Bee.

I bought 3 of these a while back. Luv them. Really nice to have an E-Stop.

But big mill/drill, my drill press, and my table saw are all still running with the original light switches. Prolly been working that way for over 40 years. I should change them but too many other priorities. They will all get swapped out the first sign of trouble.

A drum switch won't work on most 120V standard motors.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I have two of the BB paddle ESD switches. One on the lathe and one on my shaper. I wouldn't suggest using them as on/off switches as I don't think they would stand up to that amount of usage cycles. I have a PA ESD switch on my mill as well as an independent on/off switch.

trlvn

Ultra Member
A drum switch won't work on most 120V standard motors.
What makes you say that? In my experience, most single phase, fractional horsepower electric motors can be wired for CW or CCW rotation. If so, I believe a drum switch can normally be used to start the motor in either direction. Attached is a document I saved on the subject.

Craig
(Not an electrician but I've wired a couple of things to go either forward or reverse. In those cases, I used a DPDT toggle switch to control rotation as I didn't have a drum switch available.)

Attachments

• Single_Phase-6_Wire_Motor-Reversing_Drum_Switch_Wiring-3 copy.pdf
    52.3 KB · Views: 6

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
What makes you say that? In my experience, most single phase, fractional horsepower electric motors can be wired for CW or CCW rotation. If so, I believe a drum switch can normally be used to start the motor in either direction. Attached is a document I saved on the subject.

Craig
(Not an electrician but I've wired a couple of things to go either forward or reverse. In those cases, I used a DPDT toggle switch to control rotation as I didn't have a drum switch available.)

Ya, but it takes 6 wires in order to do it, which is a pain.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
In those cases, I used a DPDT toggle switch to control rotation
That's what I did on my wood lathe - a prominent ON-OFF switch (normal 'light' switch) and the DPDT 'underneath' the top panel to control rotation.

On my 'new' 80-year old Logan lathe, there's a small toggle switch on the front of the headstock -up is marked FWD ON, middle is OFF, down is REV ON. I'll probably retain the wiring scheme that the previous owner adopted with the REV position disconnected. If I 'hit' the switch to turn off the machine, I don't want it to power up in reverse.
Drum switches aren't appealing to me for the same reason, though I know they are very common (and were adoped by Logan early on).
The "cheap" 7x lathes all separate the FWD-REV function from the ON-OFF and I like that feature.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Craig

If the motor is wired for it, it will work. But I have not found it to be the rule. All of the small motors I have on my smaller equipment just have two wires. Even the ground is external. My bigger motors can be rewired and some already have a drum switch.

But you are absolutely correct. If OP has a motor that can be rewired, then I'd prolly go with a drum switch too.

Edit - well maybe not. I need to think this through given what others have said.

I guess I prefer a separate on/off and a separate fwd/rev.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
That's what I did on my wood lathe - a prominent ON-OFF switch (normal 'light' switch) and the DPDT 'underneath' the top panel to control rotation.

On my 'new' 80-year old Logan lathe, there's a small toggle switch on the front of the headstock -up is marked FWD ON, middle is OFF, down is REV ON. I'll probably retain the wiring scheme that the previous owner adopted with the REV position disconnected. If I 'hit' the switch to turn off the machine, I don't want it to power up in reverse.
Drum switches aren't appealing to me for the same reason, though I know they are very common (and were adoped by Logan early on).
The "cheap" 7x lathes all separate the FWD-REV function from the ON-OFF and I like that feature.

You raise a good point.

My orginal lathe came with a rotary switch loose and disconnected, I re-installed and quickly learned AC motors don't like being thrown into reverse...so I wired a on/off switch into series as the main switch and the rotary controlled the R-Off-F selection. Fun part most didn't realize the of either switch was in off no start.....kept dummies from playing with the lathe and for the most part kept the motor happy unless some dummy used the rotary switch as the main switch and over shot Off....

Last edited: